cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Cattlemen and Cattlewomen take note

This "Green New Deal" that a certain party has over 70 of their members endorsing, will put you out of business.

https://www.drovers.com/article/democrats-green-new-deal-wants-eliminate-farting-cows

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Senior Contributor

Fear Mongers take heed

The rest of us simply don't buy it. LoL.

what don't kill ya just makes ya Stronger.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cattlemen and Cattlewomen take note

Reading  this  in  my  magazine   -  I  found  it  interesting   -  sky  is  falling ,  although  the  unpaid  $$$$  out  of  Corpus Christi  packing  plant  seemed  to  be  the  urgent  headline  of  late    -   -   -

Livestock  section  of  '' S  F ''    never did mention this ,  correct  me  if  I  missed  it    -   -   - 

Maybe  a  walk  back  could  be  the  ''  Flaring  of   Gas  '''  in oil  &  gas  production  could  be  discussed  and  compared,  and  or  natural  gas  omitted  from urban  population,  and  or  warm  air  omitted  inside  the  I-495  Beltway  -   -   -

Was  this  a  topic  at  New Orleans  ''  con ventions ''  as  of  late ,  19CON  &  A F b   - ?       

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not disagreeing with the concern.....

But this is really a n issue of "what did the kids in the nursery discuss today???"  by Mommies little geniuses.

Aren't they cute in their new little government jobs in congress.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Heck of it is, "mommy`s little geniuses" grow up vote and become bartenders and some of them run for congress and win.  And those of us with cattle manure on our Ariats have to try and function in their snowflake world.   No, the party with the Star Wars bar scene presidential candidates need to be called out on THEIR position on the "green new deal".

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Plenty   of  JOB  OPPORTUNITIES  for  feedlot  help, pen riders - etc.    OR   in-door  swine  facility  opportunity  -  ?    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Bartender turned congresswoman from New York wants cattle banned, I suppose hogs too as they have methane coming out their rearends.  She doesn`t want to spend "pE$os  FoR thE wALL" so what are they gonna do, work on the railroad tracks to Honolulu?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

You  can  keep  sulking  with  anxiety  about  the  waLL  snow  job ,  and  other  issues,  being  the  snake  oil - ointment  wagon  deals  being  the  realities  of  now ---   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA  -  my   question ( politics aside)  being  ''' retail  meat  prices  ''  continue  at  some  record  levels , with  the  message  being  demand  is  excellent  -   -   -

Here  iz  the numbers   - retail  ''  ground  beef  avg.   ''  2012 - $3,03,    2013 - $3.30 ,   2014 - $3.47,  '' record 2015  - $4.16  ''  -   2016  -  $3.79,   2017 -$3.55

2018 - $3.72 ,   2019 - Jan  $3.80  -  -  -

Calf  Prices  AVG  =  2011 - $1.36,     2012 - $1.76,    2013  -  $1.71,     2014 - $2.08,   '''  2015  - $2.58  ''' ,,   2016 - $1.96 ,  &   2017 -  $1.52  -  2018 - $1.74   -   -   -

-

What's   the  DEAL  HERE  -  ?    Promotion  $$$$$   or   am  I  missing  something -  ?        

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

At the risk of being kicked in the shins under the table for saying the uncomfortable truth, but compared to other ag commodities, cattle have held up damned good.   It`s a head scratcher how that is the case and the packers must be making money, retailers moving the beef and must feel really generous to pass on a lot of their profit to the cattlemen & women. 

I don`t see the elevator and Cargil feeling sorry for me and not taking advantage by paying $3 for my "$8 corn" when they can and look at cash hogs, producers are in the red 90% of the time where cattle producers have been in the green about 10 years straight....I would Looooove to have the cattleman`s "problem" with the rest of my ag production, I think it`s a lot of greed and unnecessary whining with beef and cattle at the prices they have been for a long time.   Oh I know if you feed out Holsteins there`ve been times when you`ve gotten hosed.

But if you`re a Simm/Angus quality cow/calf operator, you`ve coined money the last decade and nothing to complain about.  These feedlots order buyers and farmer feeders I see them at the salebarn bidding like a Englishman in the noon day Sun, I don`t know how they pencil it out.   They must donate their time and "wet corn" to justify their Stetsons....I don`t know.

But, the drought out west has helped manage cattle supply "lowest numbers since the 50`s" is the bi-weekly inventory reports.   And I suppose the number of 85yr old ranchers finally getting tired of being mauled by ornery cows and no 30yr olds with the $20 million to buy out their operation also cuts the supply. 

But you look at 2012, drought and cows went to town ...hamburger, that explains that year.  2015 was the fruition of low cow numbers and American beef consumption going crazy.  The rest of those years of "low prices?" well, I know of some guys that bought broken mouth cows and got "one more calf crop" instead of those cows going to market...you know those stories of bred heifers bringing $3,000?  Well bid against a packer for a cull cow for 60 cents and baby her and get one last calf. 

Anyway, Just my opinion.  

0 Kudos