cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cattlemen and Cattlewomen take note

If   you  need  bred  heifers -  $1300  -  $1400   will  by  you  a  generous  supply at  the  auction  or  privately   -  -  - 

Also,  several  ranching  opportunities  available  for  purchase ,  100  to  400  Cow  outfits  ,  400  being  the  needed  optimum  for  avg  ranch  household  survival  rate according  to  cattle  publications  -  -  -

$136. head  profit  X   200  calves   divided  by  12  months  or  52  weeks   IS  - ?  The  real  eyeopener  being $27,000.oo  divided  by  365  - Smiley Surprised      

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yeah, now $1200 bred cows, but a few years ago in the "tulip mania" days, bred heifers (good ones) over $3,000.    Look on your list of calf prices, post the corn & bean prices to those years, then you`ll have something to be sorry about, we`re below C.o.P in most of the grain in those years, yet on the worst calf price year, they were profitable.  Don`t get me wrong, I`m happy about it, I get a small chunk of it...but of all the commodities the cow/calf operation has the least to belly ache about by far.  I mean carry a cow $600/yr and sell a $900-$1200 calf?  Gimmee a break

Oh I know a new Dodge 1 ton with flatbed and Featherlite trailer and Powder River corals....yeah it`s possible to spend your self broke regardless of calf prices.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Waiting  for  a   Calf- Yearling  CROP  insurance  cheQk  ,  so  far  no  Lucky  CharM  in  the  mail  box  -  -  -

Been  review'n  I. S. U  corn  plant'n  cost  of  Purducktions  -  I'm  puzzled - Smiley Surprised   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Not  many  1 ton's   or  feathers  or  powders  here ,  10 year old Dodge,  Keifer  20 ft,  homemade panels,  did  get  a  nice  used  chute -  elec  over  hydralic   -  -  -

Fat$   -   to  Burger Con$umer  equation   is  still  interesting  with  I  S  U  comparison , 2011 - 2015  thru  today  -   -   -

Bringing  in  those  $600.oo   gummers  can  be  a  health  issue  tsunami  for  a  decade,  to  a  home  raised , clean  herd  - not  to  say  the  numbers  don't  work  for  a  part  time  gambler - - -        

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No, K-289 here`s what you do.  Get with a order buyer or auctioneer and say "I`m looking for some 10 year old cows and I prefer that they`re bred" Well they have their ear to the ground and if someone from Chicago calls that their dad passed away and he had 50 head of cows and they don`t know what to do. Instead of running them through the ring as weigh cows, if you give a dime over market you could go in and sort and "thump" them for choice.  The seller gets more money and everybody wins. 

I`m not at all saying to buy canners & cutters, that`d be a good way to bring brucellosis into your herd.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SO     -  BY-PASS   the   MIDDLEMAN,   and  re-LIE  on  a   deal  in  a  far  away  place  -  GOT  IT   -   -   -

I   would  -  except  of  the  cattle  might  have  '''  bird- like  flu '''  from  those  pesky  migrating  herds ,  can't  be  BIO- SECURE   enough  I  hear  tell - ? 

Maybe  a  trip  to  the  CA  SIN O  with  a   dime  would  accomplish  the  same ---

OK -  Back  on  subject   -  So  these  '''cheap  weigh  ups  ''' ( $66.oo  / 1655 lb  cows)   has  a  positive  or  negative  price  pressure  on  $3.50/  hamburger,  or  an  up  or  down  effect   -  which  is  it  - ?   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

A packer is paying close to $1 for the actual meat that they sell to the grocery store that THEN sells it for $3.50lb.  I guess I don`t see how we`re really being screwed in any of this.  Yes, if one of the two  the buyers that`s sitting at the salebarn with his twenty-something girlfriend isn`t in a good mood, it`ll just be the other buyer bidding against the auctioneer that will get you the price, which won`t be much...I think that`s where the "taking" of the producer occurs.

The grocery store sells beef and pork for what the market will bear.  If they don`t sell it, they smell it.   The packer is beholding to the grocery store and if the customer goes somewhere else, they`re stuck with it.

I see 5 cents of corn in a $4 box of cereal and 5 cents of wheat in a $2 loaf of bread.   We sell a cow for 65 cents and the supermarket sells hamburger for $3.50...in my opinion, hamburger is a very economical purchase.

If you disagree, go to the salebarn and buy cows, take them to the locker for processing and peddle the beef out the back of your pickup for $3.50lb and see how you like it....Good luck.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

so   raising  More  corn  bushels  for o.03  -  o.04  /  lb.  is  a  better  plan  -  I'm  reading  here  -  &   ask  NO   questions,   and  say  double  your  acreage  -  Got  it -  -  - 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you have another plan for corn & beans, I`m all ears.  Cattle doesn`t have crop insurance or much vertical integration like hogs and chicken or crops, so my suggestion is "don`t fix it".   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA  -  Agreed   -  although  vertiGO  is  creeping  in   -  due  to  BIG LEVERAGE  being  painted  into  the  corner  -   -   -

0 Kudos