cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Consider high-tensile fence over barbed wire.

Barbed wire rusts and is costly to replace often.

It is cruel to animals as critters, even farm dogs, may get trapped in it and die slowly.

It put many a cowboy out of work many years ago.

High-tensile fence is cost effective too and can be electrified.

I am an advocate of outlawing barbed wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvEwGNcD6Ws

http://fenceworkshop.com/barbed-wire-fencing-the-end-of-the-american-cowboy/

http://www.ehow.com/how_4854010_build-high-tensile-fence.html

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Consider high-tensile fence over barbed wire.

High tensile barbed wire is even better. Works well in the woods where trees and limbs fall and wire has enough stretch that it doesn't snap. Ever met a horse that had a run in with smooth wire?
The barbs aren't meant to jump out and attack an animal. Simply to keep them from pushing over or through it. Animals respect barbs and stay off the fence. Electric wire is too easily malfunctioned and too costly to run on miles of fence. Not to mention people steal the chargers.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Are valuable farm or ranch dogs likely to get hurt or caught in high-tensile barbed wire?

Anyway, check ALL your fencing daily for damage or animals possibly trapped in it.

Fencing management  has always been a thorn in the side for ranchers and farmers ever since the hills were born.

Inventing a 'better" fence is like trying to make a better mousetrap but I don't suppose most farms and ranches could afford solid brick walls to contain their livestock and keep out varmints.

Fences DO make the best of neighbors. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Are valuable farm or ranch dogs likely to get hurt or caught in high-tensile barbed wire?

Anyway, check ALL your fencing daily for damage or animals possibly trapped in it.

Fencing management  has always been a thorn in the side for ranchers and farmers ever since the hills were born.

Inventing a 'better" fence is like trying to make a better mousetrap but I don't suppose most farms and ranches could afford solid brick walls to contain their livestock and keep out varmints.

Fences DO make the best of neighbors. 

They're no more likely to get caught in a barbed wire fence than they are a smooth wire. I've pulled more than one out of a woven wire.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm checking cattle twice a day right now. Calving. If they have plenty to eat, junk fence even works. Every now and then, you get a rogue cow that is determined to go through a fence and nothing short of a rope or rifle will stop her.
I have all American wire with one strand of barbed on top. A few places where it's heavily wooded is 5 strands hi-tensile barbed wire. And 7' high board fence around my working facilities.
The wife has a dog, I have a 4-wheeler. It doesn't get in fences. Only place that I have electric wire is inside my bull pen. And it's 2 strands of smooth added in front of American wire with posts every 6 feet. Trouble enough to keep that fence hot.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've never seen anything caught in any type of fence. High tensile is ok for open fields where there's not much deer presure. I've fixed thousands of places in our fence from Deere damage. They leave some hair on the barbs when the cralw between the wires. I've also kill thousands of deer, never found one injured from bran wire.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Dang auto correct. I've never had Deere damage. Should be deer. I guess if you use a word so many times these phones think they know what you are trying to say.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You need to keep that disc away from the fence row if you have Deere damage buck! Haha. I used to tease my grandfather that I had to chase him around with a shop hammer in one hand, claw hammer in the other, and wrenches in every pocket!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I did have Chevy damage once. It was the last year I raised tobacco. Parked the truck at the end of the field while I spread sticks. Then waked to the back of the hill to turn cows out into a hay field. That's when I noticed the fence pulling tight then lose like a animal was trying to crawl through it. I walked back over the hill to the tobacco field to find the truck had roled through the fence and down into the creek.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Been a few years ago Buck.... I moved the truck and got back in the bin to finish sweeping wheat. A few minutes went by and I Optimized-020 (1).JPGpeeked out the door, my truck wasnt there! My first thought was that it was upside down in the silage pit down the hill with wheat everywhere. Apparently when I popped the tractor knob, the trailer didn,t lock with it. Only has anchor locks on one drive axle of the tractor and she couldn't hold it back. Climbed out and the truck had rolled about 20 yards forward and stopped when it hit soft ground. Had about 50 bu of grain on the ground where the trailer should have been. One of those screw ups that didnt cost much, but make you think the next time you step out.  Sold a few loads of corn a few days ago and thought the pic of loading this morning might help explain how steep that hill is. 5.63 cash.