cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Consider high-tensile fence over barbed wire.

No high-tensile for me.  I've had it and abandoned it.  Back to 5 or 6 wire barb fences.  Cheaper in the long run, and more dependable.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In all my life, I've never seen a cow killed by tangling in barbed wire, but I can point you to a neighbor, that lost two, when they tangled in high tensile.
That stuff is so strong, and so springy, that if a cow gets tangled in it, it just keeps tightening around her legs, until she can't move.   Part of the problem, is that if it breaks, it does not fall to the ground, like a barbed wire fence, but it coils up into tangles.

Combine that with quesionable containment in dry soils, and I will vote for them, only in cross fences, not perimeter fencing.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jonbailey64 is back!! Lol Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Advisor

I have had high tensile wire for over 20 years the only problem I've had is snowmobiles going through it
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Yeah! we should learn from mistakes & suggest those things to others that, they should be careful about such things.

0 Kudos
glenda
Friend

Any kind of fence can hurt a cow or horse.I've had horses hurt bad from barb wire .Saw a friends colt that gotten fast in high tensile .wire was tight cut circulation off in leg colts leg never did get OK Dairy farmer lost heifer .She must have tryed to jump got fast was hanging in fence by. legs with back down &dead .
My cows stay in 1 & 2 strands of elect & some
crawl through 6 strands of hi tensile. Then this old woman is MAD .I would not spend the $$ for hitensile unless. you own the land & your wasting your time if you don't put elect on it .
At least 2 strands if you have beef A friend had 4 strands of good barbwire & cows kept getting. in corn. he sat an watched whi CH
cows were pushing it down they went to McDonald's & not for a happy meal
I own a small place Have rented more land
sense I was a kid I like to fix fence before they are out wood posts are becoming work I like barbwire can still do T posts Had a black bear keep pushing my fence down pushed the brace post down he was a real pain u know where Fixing fence off by yourself pretty day
Peaceful. .
0 Kudos
glenda
Friend

I have never seen a dog fast in barbwire maybe
dragging a chain
Snow will tear sour fence down
No body believes this till you. live where it really snows will take down posts and all
If its over the wire an melts or worse yet rains
An freezes again as it melts its hard & brings everything down. Not sour fence ha
I live where Pa MD & WVa meet its snowing now to get 3. To 8"" depending
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Snowing here too Glenda. Wet and heavy. Northern tip of Va in the valley.
The power company gives me their old utility poles. Makes great brace posts and they are there for a long dam time. I cut them at 10' and leave a little over 4' sticking out of the ground. Put a 7' pine post every 50' with 3 T posts between for low traffic areas or a pine post every 10' for high traffic. Most all is American wire 9 gauge with a single strand of barb over the top. I've seen a lot of deer hanging with a leg stuck under the barbed wire but good riddance to them. A rogue cow that doesn't respect fences has no place on my dirt. She can be someone else's problem or lunch Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Welcome Glenda. I pass through your area a couple times a year. My brother lives near DC and I'm in southern Ohio. Have seen some pretty deep snow in the mountains along I68. Good to have some more of folks on here from outside the corn belt.
0 Kudos