cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Do beef cattle ever need to be housed in any kind of buildings?

Normally, a farmer keeps his milk cows and other animals in the barn during inclement weather. Do beef ranches normally have buildings or man-made shelter provisions to house stock?

Watching cowboy movies, I have never seen one barn on any beef spread. It seems like beef cows stay out of doors all the time except when loaded into cattle trains or trucks for market.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Do beef cattle ever need to be housed in any kind of buildings?

Beef cows just need a windbreak.  Most calve in the spring or some in fall and do better outdoors, the calves can get sick if in a stuffy building.  I calve in February and that`s a challenge to keep them from it being too steamy and not too cold. but after they have a belly full of warm first milk they`re pretty tough.  Sometimes too tough and the winter born calves stay out too long and get their ears nlpped by the frost.

A few years ago in the Black Hills, there was a freak spring snow storm and killed alot of cows and calves.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Mine have never looked at the under side of a roof.
0 Kudos
SupremeFarms
Senior Contributor

We have a loafing shed with the corrals on the pasture.  When it is very hot or cold the cows seem to like it; however, they usually prefer the trees and brush on the pasture.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Mine don't see indoors unless they are having birthing issues.  I do have several old oil tanks that have torched openings as well as open faced shelters so they can at least be under roof in the event of a blizzard.  Funny thing is that stand in the tanks and shelters as much in the summer months to relieve themselves from the blistering heat.

0 Kudos