cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

First casualty

Had my first casualty this calving season yesterday.  After saving every calf so far, I had a 10 day old calf drown in a flash flood.  Never had that happen before.

Anyone else getting all the moisture you were shorted since last fall, all at once?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Artifice
Senior Contributor

Re: First casualty

Sorry to hear that, but sounds like you have a good record.

So valuable this yr, nit that your wouldn't be caring every year.

Sounds like teh plains are really back in good shape H2O wise vs a

couple of toiugh yrs.

Will HRW wheat see a recrd yield?  

I can be wrong, am good at it, but think we are in a major secular bull mkt in cows/cattle. Good break underway now is Ok.

We simply love beef and econ slowdown hardly touched demand. Good sign. 

Thx

Artifice

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

It is hard to say how well we are in moisture, when you get 1 inch in 2 months, and then 3-4 inches at once.  However, it came in several spurts, not over 1/2 in an hour, so we probably have recharged the sub moisture some.  If it rains again tonight, like they are talking (slow rain instead of thunderstorm) it will really help.

0 Kudos
GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

We've hardly touched demand?  With the smallest cow herd in six decades, we saw the second largest amount of beef in cold storage in the Jan. report.  In the March report, we showed the highest amount of beef in cold storage.  I'd say beef demand has been touched.  Sure, exports are robust which is what everyone wants to talk about.  However, they never seem to mention that beef exports only account for roughly 12 percent of the total usage.  The recent downturn in beef prices really had little to do with meat prices as packers have been losing money on just beef for quite some time.  It's the by-product market falling that has caused a retreat in beef prices as this is where packing plants were making all the money. 

0 Kudos