cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardwayfarmer
Veteran Contributor

Freezer beef pricing

Does anyone have a handle on what freezer beef is going for this fall?  We sell a few every year, delivered to a custom slaughter/processing plant.  We price it on dressed hanging weight and the customer pays all slaughter/processing costs over and above what they pay us for the carcass.  One of the employees at the plant told me a month ago that his cousin was getting $2.50 a pound hanging weight and the customer was paying all slaughter/processing costs.  That seems a little high to me, but maybe the $2.00 a pound we charged the past two years should have been a little higher last winter.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsgfarms
Contributor

Re: Freezer beef pricing

We charge $2.89/lb (hamburger patties are extra). We look after the slaughter charges since there would be some marketing charges at the local finished cattle sale. When we started ten years ago we where at $1.89. The orders are delivered to the customers door; that way I leave with money in hand!

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Just heard $2.50 the other day. First time in years I've heard anyone talk about it.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Funny, neighbor who I haven't talked to in a while just told me he has been selling to coworkers for $2.75. Says he has a waiting list of people wanting them.
0 Kudos
hardwayfarmer
Veteran Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I told two customers this evening $2.50/lb. and they were OK with it.  We realize it's a lot of money to lay out at once, but for those who get on the program I think it's cheaper in the long run, and they love the product.  My wife noticed that the processing plant was charging $3.00/lb retail today for hamburger.

0 Kudos