cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Goats, Goats and More Goats!!

Goats are one of the first animals to be domesticated by man for consumption and were at the dawn of world agriculture as we know it some 10,000 years BC; even before the first Vikings landed in America.

I would like to see more goat milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter, cream and other dairy products more widely bought by American consumers and goats more heavily farmed.

Goat milk is very sweet and delicious as long as properly-fed-and-cared-for milk nannies are never exposed to billies which fouls the taste of the milk making it gamey or goaty in flavor.

Goat milk has many health advantages over cow milk especially for people with some food allergies. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Goats, Goats and More Goats!!

I don't know anything about milk goats, but for some reason I don't think nannies produce much milk if they are never exposed to a billy.  Maybe there is something I'm missing.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

"One last bit of advice for improving the taste of your goat milk is to make sure that you are not keeping your doe housed with your buck (if you have one).  Bucks stink and that can have an effect on the milk!"

Nasty weeds in the nannies' diet will also degrade milk flavor.

Here is a good link about goat milk quality:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/goodtastegoatmilk.htm

Nannies should not be exposed to billies while producing milk for human consumption!  

Of, course they are going to exposed to billies while trying to get pregnant. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Maybe you should try milking the billy goat and see what that tastes like. Go away and leave us alone buddt
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

How dare you try to give me the boot. This is a biased website.

I am not bothering anybody here.

If you don't like my posts, you might just leave those alone.

And what the devil is a BUDDT?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

What kind of lame response from up the creek ---

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Not sure 289, but he said what I wanted to.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Milk the billy.. Lol

Consumers are just weirded out by goat milk and meat. Only ethnics like them. Plus, they produce little milk and meat per what they are fed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What do you mean by what they are fed, from what I have seen they will eat anything. Darn wonder they can produce anything from that diet.
0 Kudos
Advisor

From the lit review I did many years ago, I learned that they just don't gain weight on any diet. It's a very slow process raising these **bleep** things. Some of my neighbors tried raising for meat a long time ago when kids were cheap. They told me they got an education

You just got to assume that there is very good reason why everyone milks cows and not goats.
0 Kudos