cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Help me understand something

Knowing that a bull is 50% of your herd I can't understand these guys buying these low quality black bulls that have no meet but there black. I guess since I have been around beefmaster so long I am use to seeing a fleshy cows/bulls. I would think they would spend some extra bucks and the meatier calves would pay for the bull shortly

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Help me understand something

SO what do you consider a fair price for a good quality bull?  I don't understand the balck thing at all myself.  I don't eat the hide! JR

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

i guess the price isnt the biggest thing but get a bull that has meat on his bones. i would pay 2000 or better to get a quality bull. yes this black stuff makes no sense  to me at all ihave once heard that only 20% of the carcasses  that are labeled angus are actually angus thx

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

How much stock do you put into a bulls EPD's?  Do you like to go to the farm where he was raised to pick him out adnask questions of the grower about how he was raised? OR do you just look at blood lines? 

I personally have started to shy away from some big breeders in the beef cows but in the dairy herd I go to two farms to buy my bulls.

I ahve found that buying them from farms who have a similar mgt. style tro my own causes me the most Gain.

BTW when you see a bull with yearling wieghts of 1400 pounds what do you think?  Is he a good grower or has he been in a feedlot?

Hope I'll get some response here I think finding out how people select there bulls may be the single biggest factor in understanding there operation. JR

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

i dont know  how to read epds very much i like 205 weights, but to buy a bull 18 months and has ribs showing is ignorant to me

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

You know Bigbyrd I think the epd's have become less of a realistic factor as so many of the characteristis which they try to maesure can be influenced so heavily by management.  I know weaning weights shopuld at least have some kinda notification if they have had creep feed or truly just pasture run. 

The milk # to me is also a huge misnomer. a beef cow shouldn't milk like a dairy cow. especially if you are looking at pure genetics and not some of these crosses.

What I was saying about these 1400 lb bulls is that to me these animals are sometimes pushed so hard that when they get throwed out to do some work they don't have the muscle or the frame to keep up with thier weight. when that happens you might just have well burnt that money. Ask me how I know! JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When we dairyed we of course uded AI, bou bought a bull at a fair,

and the cavles it produces were +10#s at birth over avgerages.

Large animals, unfortunately we sold out 3 yrs later and never really go to test

Missle's potential.

Point taken, got to have good bulls.

0 Kudos