cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Hey Wright

or anybody, for that matter.

If you took good quality un-implanted, weaned calves and put them on very high quality rotational grass and/or baylage to finish for the grass fed market, what sort of ADG do you think is possible?

With English cross calves what would be the ideal finish weight?

TIA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Wright

i would say between 2 - 2.5 adg. , depending mostly on the genetics , also make sure they are not high headed , nervous cattle don't gain as good.

between 1200 - 1300 finish weight. Still would need to take into account the frame size.

Baleage would be more predictable , grass can be a crap shoot , especially in wet years , it grows like crazy and seems like feed galore but they just never weigh up as good as they do on good hard grass. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Yeah.

In those wet years you don't want to be standing behind them when they sneeze.

0 Kudos
Advisor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

or anybody, for that matter.

If you took good quality un-implanted, weaned calves and put them on very high quality rotational grass and/or baylage to finish for the grass fed market, what sort of ADG do you think is possible?

With English cross calves what would be the ideal finish weight?

TIA

I say they'll gain 2 lbs.  Per day w the setup You describe. 

What I WOULD do is supp them w 4 to 6 lbs of ddgs per day using a loose salt / loose mineral limiter. 

Then they'll gain 3 ++ And you can run bout 2X as many cattle on the grass. 

Run heifers..  Buy in at 400 lbs run them 4 to 5 months and they're done.   At 1050 to 1150 lbs

0 Kudos