cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerguy89
Advisor

How many of you have used urea as feed?

I am extremely curious as to how many of you have and what results you may have!! At one time I considered it, like 6 years ago when I had cattle.

Would you reccomd it to anyone?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: How many of you have used urea as feed?

O while I'm at it: what about map/dap?
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

The only fertilizer we've ever used is anhydrous ammonia. Works well on wheat straw bales.
0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

In 1988 My Daad used urea to give some very poor quality drought corn some umpf.  My job was to run it outa the Harvestore into the conveyor which dropped it into a bunk feeder. We had a 1 gallon jug with the bottom cut out of it and a small opening in the lid that would slowly meter the feed into that conveyor. 

Well I was 17 and now that the calendar had flipped into 89 we were in the heart of Basketball season.I had a hoop in the feed room and was practicing my 360 windmill dunks ( Well maybe not those) but the bunk filled up and I hadn't gottten the prescribed amount of urea on the feed.

So I just went out there with the 5 gallon bucket and put it on over the feed in the bunk.

I poisened 10 we lost 1.  I won;t even buy calf starter or milk replacer with urea in it now.

I never been more scared of my dad than I was that day!

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Wow jr that's a rough way to learn a lesson. Probably why so many farm kids who leave farming are so successful.
I've never used it. I remember my dad asking the feed store manager what the difference between fees urea and crop urea was. The answer: price.
0 Kudos
Ianbeer
Frequent Contributor

Urea is used as an ingredident in some of the cheaper protein concentrates but I never liked it because it's darned hard on livers.... they're usually absessed very, very badly by the time the cattle are fat. I've seen guys use all kinds of things for protein , including one friend who fed dry chicken litter as part of a TMR because he got it for free! His yard STANK of that stuff in the manure. I think that is likely illegal today anyway.

As far as DAP or MAP goes.... you might as well poison them, because the phosphate will burn the mouth and guts out of them even if they would eat it.

Cheap carbs are a different story though.... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos