cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Micotil death

Last week I heard about an Iowa cattleman who died after accidentally being injected with Micotil. Are you using this antibiotic on your farm? If so, have you considered safer alternatives? I'm just curious to hear your thoughts. Such a tragedy for his family and young children. Please be careful out there!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Micotil death

I use Draxxin or Nuflor................. Micotil is banned from our operation, just not worth the risk.

A couple other procedures that we use;  I carry / secure the syringes in a bucket, the bucket has a "bucket buddy" insert in it ,  don't carry syringes on your person(hands, pockets...), especially in the presence of livestock. Always make sure the needle cover is on, until ready to use.    

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Micotil death

It's been a very long time since I've stuck a syringe in that bottle. Micotil is an excellent product, but it needs treated with respect just like every piece of equipment and pesticide that we use. Accidents happen regardless.
I used to carry it on my horse years ago for catching calves with what we called "summer pneumonia". On a much better vaccination program now and I don't have those worries.
0 Kudos