cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

NE US forage

Forage Report  - Recently traveled across NE PA and SE NY, I see a record hay crop coming in  record time. There was some 2nd cutting baled in Bradford Cnty PA a top dairy county. 2 yrs ago, a hay shortage in the south had timothy at 4$ /60# bale, last summer those holding for that got stuck, this yr I think hay will be 2$/60# bale, that is medium or lower grade hay.

No one can make baled hay for that. People up here need horse customers.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: NE US forage

I think the horse customers are actually running out of money and that is why prices are going lower/ Some of the dairy gusy I talk to are having trouble putting up hay because of rain.  I think poor quality forages are more common than we think this year. Out here sma;; squares are stil over 3.50

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: NE US forage

You called it that is it, for race and highend horses tey ewant good hay no matter the price, but YES you made me realize it, in the NE a lot of low grade horses are for sale, my guess, in the boom 10 yrs more middle income people took on horses for their kids, but at $200 mo in even lower grade stables, it adds up.

One lady I ran into had 10 to sell, didn’t ant to winter them this coming winter.

Never tried it but sausage ?

Artifice

0 Kudos