cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Prolapsed steer. Keep or sell?

I've already sent him down the road, but wanted y'alls thoughts.... 7 weight steer calf on feed with 180 buddies of his. I'm backgrounding last years calf crop and run steers and heifers together. He had been riding heifers and prolapsed, found him while feeding one morning. Weekly sale was the next day so I pulled him out before he lost any weight or spent time stitching him up.
He brought 1.18. Would you have sold him or dealt with him? Generally pretty busy, I'm still playing truck driver by night moving my grain, feeding when I get back in the morning, and some shop work when I can. This last 15" of snow and wind took plenty of time away as well.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Prolapsed steer. Keep or sell?

you did the right thing. I can doctor as well as anybody but I never seem to come out money ahead. Even on my cows if they have to be treated for Mastitis more than once they usually go down the road. 

0 Kudos
Ianbeer
Frequent Contributor

You did the smart thing LCF. 😉

0 Kudos
itsmetoo92774
Frequent Contributor

You got $1.18 for a calf with its stuffings hanging out while it went through the ring?  Folks must be dang hard up to critters to put in the lot. 

You probably did the right thing for your pocket book.  However, personally I would have trouble sleeping at night selling a critter like that unless I knew it was going directly to its final resting spot.  I finish out my own calves, 200+ per year.  There are always a few that I would like to get rid of for various reasons, poor gainers, bad attitude, health problems, ect.  However, I wouldn't feel right pulling some one and selling them just because they are a problem.  If I didn't want to deal with it and take the risk, how could I expect some one else too?  But that's just the way I am. 

I know guys that would sell a tractor if they knew the engine was about to blow and say "It runs great" too.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

If a man buys a calf in feb all by himself, he ought to know something is up. Buyers aren't dumb. Nothing was hidden and no stories were told. I also took two lb cows.... One cripple, and one that wouldn't gain weight. They brought the same total money as the steer.
0 Kudos