cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Question on show cattle

I got my hereford meat wagon bull that I showed last summer.  He is just a joy to look at! 

Here's a pic

IM000806.JPGAny way that was the easiest pic for me to load not the best pic of him.

But I was wondering he stands about a good 8 inches taller now than ion that pic and I want to really put on some more frame.  What would be a good ration for building muscle and frame while not overconditioning him?  These guys are my pets he is in his own pen and I can hand feed him what ever is best.  He already has bred my cows and is now just laying around in his man cave! 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Re: Question on show cattle

Do you mix you own feed or buy him a special feed...what about a bagged heifer feed to keep show heifers in shape during show season, there is also that grow ration before you want them to get fat too.?  Or ask your general beef guy at the elevator about a special mix.

You were in DesMoines for that pic. weren't you?  We were there too when the kids show, son showed a hereford steer.

S.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Yea we were at Desmoines for the hereford show at the state fair.  You can see some more pics in my gallery of my kids showing also.

Yea I mix my own feed never been real fond of the show feeds ( mostly to expensive)  But He is doing real good on my current ration of high quality dairy hay Bean meal and corn.  Along with the basic 12-12-12 mineral free choice.

HOw did your son do?  We left the day after the steers came in.

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

He got 4th in the hereford show and took 2nd in point standings for him  in the IJBA

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Speaking of cattle feed but a little off your subject:   I have some 3rd cutting of 70% alfalfa and 30% orchard grass.  I've had problems before of too rich hay for the cattle.  With the horse hay market down so bad here I'm not sure what to do with it unless I haul it 150 miles to an Amish auction.  Do you think I can safely feed it to cattle?  They also get about 15# of corn a day per head.  It's 650# round bales I feed in round feeders outside.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

What stage of maturity was the alfalfa cut at?  If the grass was headed out and the alfalfa blossoemed than you will be fine.  RFV on something like that will be about 110  and fiber levels will be high enough to limit the intakes.  On those Stien steers they will rather sit up there and eat that hay instead of the corn.  so they will grow frame instead of fat.  Your other post about one big pen is very understandable and I sure wouldn't want to mess wiht success.  so take this suggestion with a grain of salt and remember what youpaid for it  but if it were me I would keep the steins and the beefers in different pens.  They just eat different But I also understand how hard it is to have pens for all your differetnt gorpus pof cattle. 

My steins that I fatten I do it a bit different I feed them all the grain they can take from 700 lbs on and I feed them real high quality hay about 180 to 200 rfv but I limit feed this stuff it cuts down on bought protein. 

Before 700 lbs I do it the opposite I feed good quality hay almost free choisce and keep grain consumption down.  I usually harvest at 1400 lbs. and yes you can still see a cuple of ribs but they are fat on the tail head I also feed corn silage so that helps to. 

We all do it different but then again we seem to all think we do it right to! Just farmers I guess. JR

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Thanks for replying.  It was 3rd cutting so the grass wasn't in seed.  It's usually only in seed for 1st cutting.  The alfalfa was in full bloom.  I could have made it week or so sooner but I waited to let it grow and not have to try to make a 4th as it was almost time to cut beans and didn't want a lot going on at once.  Making hay in October is iffy here as the humidity is prolly higher than where you are.

It would take a lot to seperate them as you stated but you are right.  1 thing about raising cattle if you talk to 10 people you get 11 different ways of doing it.  I have been feeding 1st up to now. Brought up some 2nd today to start feeding them and will sell the rest of the 1st.  I'll put in a bale of 3rd and see how they do with it.  If it gives them the green squirts I'll haul it to the Amish.  It's a nice area to visit anyway.

0 Kudos