cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Questions for wrightcattle

I was looking at the usda market report for Belen, NM, today, and was wondering, in your experience, are the usda market reports accurate?

www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/cv_ls156.txt

If the usda reports are accurate, what were the bred cows that brought $2700, and what kind of cows were the $1300 pairs?

Edited because link did not work. 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Advisor

Re: Questions for wrightcattle

why is the cattle market dropping so drastically
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Questions for wrightcattle

The price drop must be territorial, cow and calf market still very strong in this area. Good bred cows $2800-$3000. 400#-500# steer calves $2.80-$3.35, heifers are about 15-35 cents less.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: The $2,700 cows were really fancy coming 2nd calf

blacks. 

the total set the afore blacks are now with averaged $2,000.  

were p 3's, p2's, mostly 3 and 4 year olds. 

they are a great set...handle real nice.  

are blacks and reds w a few horns on the reds.

Really a WOW set of Cows. 

don't know on the $1,300 pairs...had to been small calves with broken mouth cows.

also the 13's may have been strait longhorn pairs too.

Good pairs with big calves are inn  the $1,700 to $2,200 range...calves weighing 250 to 350 on  em. good young cow moms.

usda auction reports Are fairly accurate.  MO.

U gotta keep in mind, there's a big variation in cattle in  places like the SW.

heck the darn herfy calves selling $70 to $100cwt behind the blacks. ( calves weigh the same and the herfys are generally Better too ).    it's tough to get an easy read reporting things like that.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: we're just plum out of water

there's some feed in areas...but those are out or short of water too.

that effects the cow running here no doubt.  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: we're just plum out of water

Keep in mind this is only my opinion, but those Longhorn cattle aren't worth the paper their printed on. I mean why else would they be selling at 50% or less of GOOD CATTLE?

Black vs Red, probably more of an individual preference, but the Angus people have done an excellent job on marketing their breed and the prices reflect it.

They say never say never so I'll reword my phrase. Only black cattle for my farm.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Are pairs a better value for the money than breds?  Also were the $2200 pairs polled blacks or reds with horns?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: One thing, always stays the same is,

Everything changes, everything Changes.

Better add some red genetics there pal.  MO

the longhorns, corrientes and criollas all have their place too.   some are excellant and some not as good.

it's tough to beat a longhorn  cross cow.   say longhornxlimmy  longhornxchar  longhornxsaler longhornxherfy  longhornxangi etc..

bout the time folks get all the longhorn bred out of em is thee same time frame they start having cow problems.

nice thing bout the afore instinct breeds is they will stay out and alot of times only come up for water every 2 or 3 days.

0 Kudos
Advisor

those 1900 to 2200 pairs have been mostly red angus cows with red calves.

think what i'd do is buy the pairs ( most those cows are bred back so they are 3 in 1's ) and buy breds too.

basically the afore spreads your calf/yearling sales out.....so that's a pretty good hedge too. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: One thing, always stays the same is,

With all do respect wrightcattle. The day I start raising Longhorns is the day I hang it up.

I can handle red genetics, but Longhorns NOT A CHANCE.
0 Kudos