cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: There are 830 breeds of cattle on the

Globe.

Every 1 of em is good for their uses / area.

MOST of the World's cattle are a brahma or zebu type.

( course most cattle are raised South of the Equator too.)

bout 1+ billion cattle on Earth.

India and BR own bout half the afore.

say there's 350+ million head of milking brahma / zebu kinda cows in India and BR.

the "cat bird" of the Black Angus bus does not base em in the usa.

( perhaps those are just metered in as needed )

GO RED....this deal is changing again.  MO

a black ( red carrier ) will throw a black calf if bred black or a red calf ( 85%) bred to red.

gotta stay flexible.

1 thing stays the same is, Everything changes, everything Changes.

Perhaps thee best gelbvieh look calves some have ever seen ( or fed ) are in Fact out of Fancy Big Spotted Strait Longhorn Cows.

as far as how that is accomplished?  perhaps use your imagination.  that simple.

i give a dam what the media spin obviously does Not Know bout cattle.

Perhaps read come Jan Bonsma books when you get time.

also Gerald Frye say bovine engineering has good info if you need to learn bout Real Cattle.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: The $2,700 cows were really fancy coming 2nd calf

I am not very familiar with the idea of hedging.  Would you explain how having calves spaced out during the year instead of just one calf crop per year is beneficial?  

Also a late thank you for Tuesday's reply.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: There are 830 breeds of cattle on the

I don't need to read a book, and I'm not planning on marketing to many cattle south of the equator. The main thing I need to know is what sells for the most cash at my surrounding sale barns consistently, and at the present time it is Black Angus. When reds start to consistently match the local price of blacks I'll divide my herd evenly, until then it'll only be black for me.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Questions for wrightcattle

same here shaggy
0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Perhaps it's best to sell calves or yearlings

every 3 months ( every quarter ) vs selling once a year.

guess i call it a natural cash sales hedge.....not the paper type.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Breed a purple polka dotted cow

to a black bull and sell black calves.

nobody needs to meet the Mom.

i find it quite interesting that the cattle media spin and college types do not know how to get black calves off most any color cow.

heck take some herfys and breed em black...

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Perhaps it's best to sell calves or yearlings

So by selling calves every three months, a person is staying more current with the market than if selling only once per year.  This would be an example of the idiom to NOT "put all of your eggs in one basket", so if the market is down for one quarter, a person has not sold all of their calves at the lower price, and therefore will have a better chance of losing less in a downturn.  It would also give a person the chance to capture an increase in price four times a year, when the market is going up, instead of only being able to capture the market once per year.  That is creating a physical hedge against the market by keeping sales current quarterly instead of annually.  Am I getting the concept now?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Yep, You got it. nt

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Yep, You got it. nt

Selling calves quarterly is a very interesting concept.  I would not have thought of that marketing idea, but I think that it is a good one.  

Thank you for answering my questions, you offer a different perspective than most, which keeps your posts fresh and original and makes them enjoyable to read.

0 Kudos