cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Read S F Checkoff

S F  has  an  interesting  article  on  checkoff  TRANS PAR ENCY  - interesting read ?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Read S F Checkoff

289, I couldn`t find the article, but these checkoffs are crazy, they lobby for the wrong things, with pork anyway it`s mandatory even though we voted to make it voluntary about 20yrs ago and a judge threw our vote out!

With corn it`s a little under a penny a bushel and Bigshots fill out the paperwork to get their checkoff back.  Well on 800,000 bushel it`s $8,000...maybe I should start getting it back too and take the family out to McDonalds or something. 

With the pork checkoff they do a good job of promoting the product..... after the small farmers have been purged out. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Successful  Farmer    "  Livestock  section "  

S  F        Special  A  CONSTANT  BATTLE  for  BEEF  CHECKOFF  TRANSPARENCY   

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

BA   -  Any   similarities  of  our  21 century  policy  of  non  conforming  antics  - or  maybe  as  Schultz  sayz  I  KNOW  NOTHING  ? ?  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I found it, 289.  Here`s a snip that jumps out from the story

Ever since national checkoff groups originally formed in the early 1980s, there have been producers who hate the idea that a portion of the profit they make on every bushel, animal, or carcass goes straight to a national organization that the USDA is supposed to oversee. That money, $1 per head for beef producers, isn’t as closely monitored as it should be, according to groups like R-CALF and the OCM. 

To be clear, checkoff money cannot legally be used for lobbying or influencing government policy or action of any kind. That money is responsible for consumer-facing promotional campaigns like Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. How that funding is monitored can be a hazy area if you look too closely, OCM members believe.

Close to $80 million is generated each year through the Cattlemen’s Beef Board, according to Polly Ruhland, CEO of the CBB. Half of that sum goes to state beef councils; the other half goes directly to the CBB based in Centennial, Colorado

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

The  thought  of  being   COZY  between  the  Beltway  &  east  slope  of  the  Rockies  has  been  a  question  for  a  decade ---

The  real  cattle  folks who  actually have stuuff  on  their  boots and  are  home  doing  the  daily tasks  of  getting  a  live  calf  on  the  ground are  being  ridiculed  ---

Seems  interesting  how  information  can  take  such an  eXXXXXttended  time  frame  to  produce  audit  info ---

Danged  ole  transparency  stuff  &  why  all the  questions ? ? 

0 Kudos