cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jccalabria
Veteran Reader

Research for starting a dairy farm business

Hi I'm thinking on start a dairy business in north Florida, so I'm doing some research on what's the breed that it's best for that region and what's the milk production average per cow/per day.

I'm know that maybe this information is to wide to ask this way but i'm real new to cattle husbandry so any information any comments will be well receive.

Thanks in advance JCC.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Research for starting a dairy farm business

Are you going to be pasture based or in confinement?  If you are going the pasture route and in North Florida might be a good idea. you should look to a normande jersy cross. milk production annually will be around 15000 lbs. you will have a smaller animal but you will not be feeding all that farme.  Realize your milk costs go up dramatically the minute you start givng them huge supplements. so go with a good rye grass or a good fescue keep your corn to less than 10 pounds a day and feed maybe 2-3 lbs of bean meal or in your area cottonseed may be alittle easier to find although you will need to feed this while miling to ensure each cow it's its allotment. stay small also lets say under 70 cows.  YOu won't have a life but you will probably make some money.  

Also start with small heifers and grow them into your milk herd. my 2 cents not that it is worth that. JR

0 Kudos
jccalabria
Veteran Reader

Re: Research for starting a dairy farm business

Thanks a lot, that confirm my estimate about production, yes I'm thinking in pasture based, the confinement method it's much more complicated and I don't have the experience for that, now what will be the advantage of grow my milk herd, I saw some dairy farm with 150 heads already producing that seems to be a good start. And what will be the general rule for land/head ratio, I'm aiming from 40 to 80 acres so, how many cows can support this sizes of lands.

0 Kudos