cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacko
Friend

Should I keep as a bull or a bullock

Hey guys I have the bull calf at the moment which is a Murray grey cross cherolay he is a beauty of a calf he had a white back and tale with brown sides and his face is brown and white I don't know if I should keep him as a bull and sell for more money or turn him into a bullock and keep him for longer so any replys would be very helpful thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jacko
Friend

Re: Should I keep as a bull or a bullock

Tail*
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Just guessing, but I get the feeling you have a small operation and are pretty fond of your animals.  If you plan on leaving him intact (not casterated), DON'T make a pet of him!  Making a pet of or being nice to a bull or ram sheep is the most surefire way of you getting yourself maimed or killed.  The learn to not fear you and then one day they suddenly realize they are a full fledged bull or ram.  And as such, it's their nature to protect their territory or dominate those around them, which includes you.  You don't want to be mean to or abuse your bull calf, but don't go petting and rubbing around on him.  He needs to respect you and learn to keep his distance from you.  My sister has dairy cattle and the norm is to remove the calf from its mother at a few days of age and then bottle feed it while momma gets back into the milk line.  In the last three years, she has had two bulls turn mean and both in the space of 24 hours.  One day they were gentle and docile, the next day they would charge her (one got her down and beat the dickens out of her) and try to take fences down to get to her.  One hated both men and women while the other only hated women after his "change."  It's a documented fact that if you keep a bottle lamb for a ram, there's a nearly 100% chance he will eventually turn on you and people have actually been killed by rams.  Bottle fed male llamas are the same except that some develop serious and extreme mental issues from which there is no recovery through training or conditioning.  A bullet is the only treatment for what ails them.  Not trying to be funny either, I'm dead serious.  You had best heed my advice because you could end up dead, seriously, and no pun intended.   I know several people (including my brother) that have been maimed or killed by male animals that suddenly realized they were the alpha male of the farm, not their owner.  Take care.   

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I think you should keep him as a bull!

0 Kudos
Advisor

If You like the family cow line of his dam

and if you need an upcoming bull then keep him as a bull.

Also You need to like hgis dam....her traits.  it's the cows that raise great bulls.

otherwise not.

0 Kudos