cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbedord
Contributor

Show Bound

I am so very proud to share a project our team is launching on February 1, 2015. Here is a sneak peek of what we are up to - http://www.agriculture.com/videos/v/101443985/show-bound-trailer.htm

For the Tusha family, showing cattle is truly a passion that came shining through from the first moment I met them. It's a passion that requires a lot of hardwork and dedication. The first interview with them was so emotional that they had me in tears!! As their youngest daughter enters her last year of showing cattle, we'll follow along on her journey to the show ring with Smalls and Big Boy.

I'm sure many of you have incredible stories of what it's like to show livestock. I'd love to hear about your most memorable moments, the bloopers in the ring as well as the lessons learned that have carried with you through adulthood.

Do you have children or grandchildren that show livestock? I'd love to hear those stories too!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Show Bound

Interesting trailer.  Reminds me of my show days many decades ago.

0 Kudos
jsgfarms
Contributor

Takes me back to 1976; I took my 4-H calf to the county regional fair thanksgiving weekend in the back of the pickup; Dad had made a new set of racks the week before; it was raining so we put the tarp on; when we got there (45 minute drive) my calf was going bullistick in the back of the truck ( I think the flapping of the tarp scared him); just as I got him untided he bolted back, turned and started to drag me across the fair grounds; with his left hind foot whizzing by my right ear with every other step; I finally let go of the rope; when we finally got him cornered he was in amongst the Clysedales (the owners of the horses weren't impressed); got him settled down; got third in confirmation; went on to win the overall in showmanship against several steer jockeys from other clubs; I didn't have the fancy blower or the blocking chute; the trophy still sits on my desk; it was the most memorable because my parents, grand parents and a very special uncle ( who taught me how to groom without the fancy equipment ) were in the crowd to see it!!!!  My daughters had to choose between showing cattle or showing quarter horses for 4-H; they went with the horses; and now my grand daughters are following in their foot steps; 4-H and the showring instilled in me the pride of owning quality livestock; my small cow herd is pastured in two fields along the road side of the farm; many people will stop to watch a calf being born; I get a lot of compliments on the quality of the calves when I run into neighbours in town or from cattle dealers who drive in wondering if they could have first chance to buy them; my reply is always yes, at the auction barn next spring!!!

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

Show Bound Update

Grace Tusha showed her steer - Big Boy and Smalls - at the Iowa Beef Expo this weekend. It was a hectic weekend of getting the animals settled into their new space in the barns and readying them for their first experience in the ring.

The Tusha family, along with Big Boy and Smalls, arrived at the Iowa State Fair Grounds late Thursday evening, February 12. Early Friday morning it was time to weigh in. Big Boy weighed in at 997; while Smalls came in at 796.

Both steer were slated to be in the show ring on Sunday morning. Smalls was up first - shortly after 8 a.m. - and Big Boy was not too far behind him. That meant all hands on deck at 3:30 a.m. that morning to get both steer ready! This was truly a family effort as Tim (Grace's dad), Ellen (Grace's mom), Maddie and Liz (Grace's sisters) all pitched in to ready the animals for the ring.

Competing against 13 others in the Division I Crossbred Steer Smalls landed in Second Place. Big Boy, who was competing against nine others in his category, took First Place in the Division IV Crossbred Steer!!!

With more than 100 hours invested in these two animals since arriving on the Tusha farm just a few short months ago, it's incredible that all of the hard work comes down to 10 to 15 minutes in the ring!!

Way to go Tusha family!!!!

Be sure to watch the Show Bound video to learn more about Grace's journey to the ring at http://www.agriculture.com/videos/v/101903879/show-bound-preparing-for-the-show.htm.

0 Kudos
bikinkawboy
Veteran Contributor

Anyone familiar with with dairy cattle knows that Jerseys can have a mind of their own at times....or actually most times.  Like the time my sister was training a young Jersey heifer to lead so she could take her to the fair.  Of course the heifer wasn't about to cooperate. She either sulled and wouldn't budge or would take off at a high rate of speed with my sister in tow.  Finally I got the C Allis Chalmers and we tied the lead rope to it.  No more going where she wanted and when it was time to go, we went.  She never really did accept training as a show cow and at the fair she could have stood in for a bucking bronco had the need arisen.  Just goes to prove that once a Jersey, always a Jersey and trying to turn a bull headed Jersey calf into a show cow is like the proverbial making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  It just don't work.  

0 Kudos