Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Tama Fat Cattle Sale,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Tama Fat Cattle Sale,

It is interesting that the Tama Livestock Auction has had very steady prices on fat cattle for nearly two months, despite the fact that the  head count has ranged from 281 to 754 in that time period.  

A bit off topic, but still cattle related.  I watched part of the Clayton auction online today, and was surprised by the price increase from a few weeks ago.  A group of first calf heifers sold for $2575 per head, shortly after a group of pairs sold for $2750 (the calves on the pairs were small; also, I do not know the age of the cows, they were described as young).  The heifers and cows looked similiar in quality, so I was surprised that the pairs brought less than $200 more than the heifers.  

Steph

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pairs here

were $1,450 to $2,600 last week.

"Mentally," this is the time of year when folks tend to want a perfect P 3 to have the perfect calf at home.

soooo.... lot's of times you can buy pairs with pretty big calves on em for less money than the bred cows.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Pairs here

Considering current calf prices, $1450 for a pair sounds cheap.  Were they Longhorns?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Longhorn X.. nt

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

A few years ago, Dad had a herd of Longhorn and Corriente cows that he crossed with a Charolais bull.  I always found it interesting to see what the calves looked like.  White with tan splotches seemed to be the most common color, and of course, they all had horns. While they were definitely not the most desirable calves, I thought they were some of the cutest.

Here are some pics of them:  

ferdinand's caves 035.jpg

040.jpg

010.jpg

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Charolais bulls,

use polled char bulls on those and red gene char bulls.

a lot of the calves turn out basically polled and strait gelbvieh sand color.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

No disrespect meant SupremeFarms, but your portable corrals look more appealing to me than the longhorns standing near it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Shaggy98,

I understand where your coming from. Longhorns are not for everyone. That said, it is likely to take more effort to keep the corral greased and keep the tires on it inflated; than it will to take care of the Longhorns. They make interesting pasture ornaments that require very little attention, and will make an interesting topic of conversation for many of one's non-agriculture friends. They live on very little and can thrive on low quality feed. Selling their calves will normally cover the cost of keeping them, as well as provide some extra change.

Dad and I had a lot of fun and made many good memories with the Longhorns. We have no regrets with having owned them.

Despite our positive experience with the Longhorn herd. We now have a herd of polled black Angus, which is our current preference.

The first photo is of the Longhorn herd enjoying an occasional treat of cattle cubes.

The second photo is of our current cattle herd.

Stephanie

IMG_0183_2.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Good looking set of black cattle.

0 Kudos