cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Tips for Building Your Beef Herd Back Up

I compiled a bunch of tips from universities for building up your beef herd for long-term profits and success.

Find the 9 tips here

Which ones do you lean towards the most?

What tips would you add, especially for people new to the cattle industry?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Tips for Building Your Beef Herd Back Up

I've been around cattle my entire life, but I've always had someone helping me that had enormous amounts of experience compared to me. I just bought some 1st and 2nd calf fall pairs that I'll be breeding back here in 30-45 days. Not sure if I'm qualified to offer advice, but I would avoid 1st calf heifers for the inexperienced cattleman. I've been told (at least in Central Kansas) that fall calving generally is easier on the cows and new born calves. We just don't have the cold and/or slop to deal with like sometimes in the spring. As I continue to build my herd, I'll probably add a few spring calvers but unsure if I'll maintain a 50-50 balance. I'll wait and see if the market favors one or the other.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I find it interesting the expert advice coming down the pipe which is somewhat of a hedge either way at this point and time--- there might be a headline in tomorrows paper that could extract 25 to 50 % of current market conditions in the CME arena and make a highly leveraged herd a bumpy ride --- A year from now we can all look back and do the 2014 quarterbacking --- 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Also Shaggy it would appear lick tubs and milo stalks could be a good mix along with a creep feeder for the calves ---

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I agree 289, the above mentioned make for some cheap feed.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Here is an article descibing the shifting/building of our herd populations back.

http://www.unitedag.coop/index.cfm?show=4&id=0702BF54

0 Kudos