cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Water Wells

What is the best way to check the durability of an old hand dug limestone cased water well?  Is it as simple as dropping a pump down and seeing how many gallons it'll produce before being pumped dry?

If it isn't producing up to expectations, is there anything we can do to boost performance?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Water Wells

Hey Shaggy, my well man has a formula that I think he pumps full out for 10 minutes and if the well handles it without overpumping the casing, it`s good.  For handling a household and a small cattle herd, 10 gallon a minute is good. 

I got a submersible pump down 140 ft, if I`m filling a sprayer it`ll overpump the casing so I run it about 3/4ths open and clean the nozzles and come in and argue with the liberals on the forum page  Smiley Happy

At a different place I got a jet pump about 30ft down and that will knock the cup out of you hand and I can`t imagine ever overpumping that since the water table is so high.   Then I have a old stroke pump on a well, in case of the zombie apocalypse.

But you could "DIY" buy a 4" submersible pump, go down 50 or 100 ft and see if it pumps enough to suit your purposes.  As far as I know, all you can do is put the pump down deeper and if that doesn`t work you need a new well. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Water Wells

BA, this well is only about 20-30 foot deep and I've got no idea how old it is, probably 50 years or older.  I've got a 1" pump powered by a small 2 stroke engine I might try.  I'll pump it full out and see how long it takes to suck air.  If it can't keep up with that small of a pump It'll probably never work with a solar or wind driven pump, unless it is a calm cloudy day.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos