cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Winter costs higher than normal?

Well, we've been spoiled by the weather here in the last day and a half or so in central Iowa. Sunny, warm enough to go outside without feeling like your skin's burning off your face, and trying to act like spring. But, we've got another system headed this way that might give us another 6 inches or so of snow. Anybody else tired of this winter?!

Got me thinking earlier today: How's this winter treated your herd? Any more health problems or death loss than normal? What about costs? Has it cost you more -- for feed, etc. -- than normal to get your calves through the winter...that's not over yet? 

Man, what a year! Everybody says "we'll all be complaining about how hot and humid it is before we know it." Well, I say bring that on! Ha!

JC

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Winter costs higher than normal?

Feed costs have moderated and stalk grazing in N E Nebraska has been pretty open to this point ---Minus temps have accelerated hay use although the expense is half of 2013 --- six weeks from now will give us a clearer picture - so far so good ---     

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hay I am buying is half price of last year and better quality so that helps. Haven't been able to haul manure so no cost for that. Although I may need shorter cows soon so they can get in and out of the buildings! LOL

Senior Contributor

I was thinking back in December that I had entirely too much feed packed in the pit. A week until March now and that pile is looking pretty good!
I just sold 100 Timothy round bales for 70 a piece... Cash Smiley Wink 6x4 and about 1250 lbs.
Somebody must not have put up enough hay!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Probably about average here.   The winter was a cold one, but on the other hand, we got very little snow all winter, and what we did have didn't seem to last all that long, so we got full use grazing our cornstalks.   They don't have a lot of nutritional value after the new year, but they add bulk to fill the cow's stomach, and ruminating it helps keep them warm.   Lets us feed them just for nutritional needs, and not have to worry much about giving them enough pounds of roughage.

Contributor

One of the worst winters in decades here in west central Wisconsin. 50 plus days with low temp below zero. Fifty plus inches of snow also. Wood pile getting really low.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well the vet bill should kick in again.  Been hard to keep some calves healthy.   Friday 50+ degrees and nice---- sunday high 7 -----Monday low -9.  Tuesday high 53.  

That will be hard on them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

-25 (or colder) wind chills.   Glad we pushed calving back a little later some years ago into mid-March, instead of the end of Feb.  I don't see how one could have good luck calving, unless they had a good barn.

0 Kudos