cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbotard

**bleep** bleeding in calf

As usual, things like this happen when my husband is at work and on a weekend.  I went up to our pasture to put out hay, (rice straw, it's the only thing we could find during this Texas drought) and saw a young calf walking with his mother and thought he had an injury toward the inside of his leg.  When they got to the bale I could examine him better (he's about 2 months old) and saw that it was blood all down both his legs.  He didn't act sick and was eating hay.  My husband suggested it may be coccidiosis. 

To be more clear, the blood is not steadily coming out of his rectum, but the fresh blood on his inner back legs greatly concern me.  He may be straining to poo, I'm sure he is. 

Our pastures are short and we have been steadily feeding hay since winter.  We bought rice hay and have liquid feed out to help them digest this.  We recently worked our cattle, about two weeks ago, wormed with ivomec F and sprayed them for flies.  We had a really bad fly problem along with everything else.  We also have out bag mineral which is supposed to have fly control in it.  I have looked on the internet and could only find Coccidiosis as a probible cause that also matched the conditions of our pasture.  I plan on trying catching the mother and calf tomorrow so I can take them to the vet, but since I am alone it may not happen.  Just depends on if mom cooperates, especially since we just worked them. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions.  My husband also suggested sulpher boluses, but ours are pretty old and I don't really want to use them.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kbotard

Re: **bleep** bleeding in calf

calf had coccidiosis.  This has been a hard year for our cattle.  He is medicated and will hopefully be well soon.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Is that the 'infection' caused by protozoa?

If so, about all you can do as far as prevention, is to get all the manure cleaned out that you can, as it lives in the manure.  On 'dirt' around here, they don't live in high enough numbers to cause any real harm, it is the manure that carries it.  Feeding them in the same place, where they deficate on/near the hay they eat, is a common way they get it.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Google "Coccidiosis in Cattle, control" and you'll get a heck of a lot more information than you'll probably ever want to know...LOL

0 Kudos