cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pritchh
Senior Contributor

Re: cattle-- cycle, prices..,, beef demand,,, weights et al.

Jump to solution

Nice work, 7$ holy cow!

We are starting back in and need to decide  how mcuh to layout for Lime, fertilizer

to get A grade hay.

Vetch, we have vetch here and there, was not plated here. Legume, good,

any negatives?

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: cattle-- cycle, prices..,, beef demand,,, weights et al.

Jump to solution
My biggest concern with legumes are weed control. There aren't but so many herbicides that can be used. Harmony can be sprayed on dormant alfalfa with good results, but its not labeled. I have conventional alfalfa, but the neighbor hasn't had any complaints yet with RR. Red clover makes good feed as well, but same issues. I generally frost seed clover into pasture that is clean to start with. Forefront, grazon, or any other 2-4,D knocks the clover right back out.
Good, clean, well made hay will always have a demand. And not many are willing to put in the extra effort required to make small squares. Makes them valuable.
Fertilizer wise, a 50-20-100 grows some nice grass hay in my area. Just leave the N out and put some boron back in for alfalfa. Alfalfa also likes a higher PH up around 7. Grasses seem to do fine 6.2 and up.
Take care of your forage and you should be able to keep a stand of anything for 10 years or so.
0 Kudos