cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

cows not showing estrous

has anyone else had problems with cows not showing estrous????????? 

very stange, never had this problem before....

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: cows not showing estrous

What brand of cow are we talking here? age specific or all ages? where are you located and yes I have had that problem before but not on  a whole herd. JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Probably some vomitoxin ( or similiar )  in your corn and ddgs or both.  SOOO cut back on those, sub in some soy, cotton meal alfalfa etc.   Also if your using a supp with urea in it...get rid of it ( either forever or at least till they straighten out ).  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Well Mark good to see you back at the keyboard!

I keep hearing packers are close to the knife for the select grades  what are you hearing? 

YOur grass doing alright out there? JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Market diametric is almost exactly like 03 was at this point. 

Appears that harvest has been runnning 5% above year ago rates, but with 5% less cattle actually available on a finished basis.Pulling cattle forward works for a while but adds to a REAL thin supply down the road ( record low tonnage with record high harvest rates the past 10 week strait ).  

Obviously chain speeds will slow now, with perhaps some "dark" plants for a time too. 

Processors are playing that cattle still left will simply get bigger thus more tonnage down the road. 

Payup for cull cows will be higher ( say $80 by mid July ), in the meantime traditional fats will be held lackluster in the $92 range. 

That's how the fully consolidated can keep average total incoming product cost the same. 

High end exports are record and ongoing.  USA internally is driving "grind" beef.

Japan just broke with FMD in they're high end cattle, and with Indonesia having AU bought WAY out, that means Japan needs usa beef. 

In 03 this diametric "lacklustered" till about Mid Aug, then it was off to the races with a 50% UP.                

W Looks like we've pulled forward right at 350,000 to 400,000 head the past 10 weeks, thus those are gone.

The Hole so to speak really starts mid to end of Aug. 

( cattle placed for Aug COF report in April shows those at 24% of same vs 09.)   

$130 to $140 cwt traditional fat cattle by Thanksgiving?   Heck why Not? Over an 80% probability of that now.

Beef just happens to be the 1st synonomous choice to replace seafood now becoming rather a non existent choice due to the expanding oil wreck.      

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

British cross cows,,,,mostly angus,,,,,,,age it really doesn't matter, highest percentage is 2nd calvers, not a big surprise, we have had a lot of adverse weather the last few years a terrible winter last,,,i'm in southeast nebraska,,,,a lot of people around me that where "big" in cows are quitting i'm not for sure whats going on, and the vet told me he is seeing a lot of late cows.....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Have they ever had a Lepto/Vibrio shot?  Should be given annually. A good product for that is called LV5.  

Vibrio can be fairly symptomatic of what you describe.  

Since they should be out on pasture now anyway, about the only negative estrous feed varient issue  would be if your using a supplement with non protien nitrogen ie, urea in it. 

Heck they're not late by Mother Nature's calender.  Buffalo, Elk, and Antelope all calf in May for alot of SMART reasons.

Winter recovery and is one of em.  

0 Kudos

Only one of my cows out of 10 is showing at the momment. I do find this strange also. She calfed in April. I keep a  2 y.o. steer to help me see the signs a little more clearly.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

whats your management practices????  do you vacinate regularly???   graze corn stalks in the fall????  I guess i'm looking for a common theme...............

what part of the country do you helm from.   

0 Kudos

Our Farm is in Ontario Canada.

We are a Hobby Farm and presently have 9 Cows, 2 calfs and a 2y.o. Steer.

We vaccinate in the fall, deworm twice a year, hoof trim once a year. Feed mixed custom ration grain and hay and suppliment with TM and iodized salt blocks.

Our herd is on pasture all year round with access to a large cow house.

0 Kudos