cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pritchh
Senior Contributor

rare breed catrle,, anyoen with any advice ir any thig to share? I know I am nuts .

Rare breed cattle. I acknowledge way off track vs any conventional operation like you all are in.

But might anyone have any observations to share?  Theme here is with limited land resources, don’t really want the work of a cow/calf operation, unless there is some way to up the value. Locally in NE PA a few good breeders have 80 head milking but produce some top grade embryos that go to Europe and some in the US. Those extra sakes, high value, is what keeps the farm going. 80 head here without a growing season to grow ear corn or beans leaves conventionally diary at the edge. In the township I am now visiting, in 1965 there were 50 diaries now 4-5 All those are very hard working and excellent operators and as mentioned above, 2-3 sell breeding animals or embryos to make it work.

I know I am not going to make $ or even break even with rare breed but in my opinion very good for on a high level, conservation, preservation of a species, long odds, genetics preserved that may be needed someday . Some of these breeds have only 300 to 3000 in total world wide population. We would pick a beef breed, so as to not have to milk. Also hopefully docile vs., dang angus who push their way through fences, need some low maintenance breed if there is such a thing. Looking at red-poll, maybe others.

Also anyone with ball park estimates for high tinsel fencing? Old farm here with so dated, old barb wire, so costly time wise to maintain. And how do you place the high T fence close enough to old stone fences,

But not invite mass weeds etc between the new and old fence? Leave enough space to bush-hog?

All comments welcome and anyone with experience of know of operations in your area with rare breed,  

Welcome .. Pritch ..

0 Kudos
9 Replies
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: rare breed catrle,, anyoen with any advice ir any thig to share? I know I am nuts .

If you could get in on the ground floor many of the rare breeds or even odd species (lamas, emus, ect) work like pyimid schemes.
0 Kudos
teaspoon73
Senior Contributor

Re: rare breed cattle,, anyone with any advice ir any thig to share? I know I am nuts .

Look into miniature cattle. Easy to handle. Don't need as much feed. Once you learn how to put high tensel up its easy to work with.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: rare breed catrle,, anyoen with any advice ir any thig to share? I know I am nuts .

The history of agriculture is replete with examples of rare breeds.  Miniature ponies.  Alpacas.  Emus.  Llamas.  Various breeds of horses.  The key seems to be getting in early and getting out at the top.  Few can do it.  Most lose money.

I would not do it unless I saw a niche that I thought I could control.

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

Not planning to do minatures.. err I don't like those kind of people! 

Looking at red polls, there is a small herd  30 mi away will vist with them, pros cons.

Expecting to lose in a venture like this.

I have seen the belted herd in Camden    Maine, Chatfield Family,  

0 Kudos
jsgfarms
Contributor

We have a small herd of gelbvieh cows; medium frame, docile, great milking ability and excellent carcass quality. We retain the calves, select out the replacement heifers, and sell the balance at 14 to 16 months of age as freezer beef by the half, quarter or split half. Our local abattoir loves the carcasses and buys anything that we do not have sold privately. Last year our price was $2.50/lb plus cutting and wrapping. Carcass weights average 730lbs. The BSE crisis in Canada in 2003 forced us into direct marketing and we have no regrets. Our customers love our product, and market growth has come by word of mouth. There is not a lot of profit in it right now, if we take into account the opportunity costs of grain and hay, but we are not complaining as we also produce barley, corn, and soybeans and forage and manure work well in our rotation. After a good customer base has been built up, you cannot jump in and out from year to year. Best of luck, which ever breed you choose! 

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

you say good milkers, do they have to be milked or 

are they cow/calf.

TIA

0 Kudos
jsgfarms
Contributor

The calves do the milking for us.

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

got it,, that breed fits my objectivrs.

will look into this further.

Thx for all.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

I don't know a thing about them except some folks moved in around here a while back. Have some white cattle called piedmontese. Very muscled up looking calves. Black sells in the beef business, but these animals have a healthy stature. And as the old saying goes..... Black is good, tan is grand, but white is still the Big Bossman! 🙂
0 Kudos