cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

running coyotes

We believe we have a problem with people running dogs on coyotes.  We run our heifers with a bull on another farm.  Twice in the last month they have broken through the fences and gotten out.  One time was close to the building and they went through in 3 spots.  We've had animals on this farm for about 10 years and we've never had a problem with them breaking down the fences.  I won't say they never did but it was very rarely and certainly never in such a short time span.

Then this past weekend when my husband was taking the feed wagon up and he found people on the road running coyotes with dogs with radio collars.  He also actually saw the dogs run right through where we put the wagon for our cattle.  The cattle weren't right there at the time but the dogs went right where he normally parks the wagon.

What if any rights do we have as livestock owners to keep the dogs away from our livestock.  What I could find online only said the people cannot come onto private property to retrieve their dogs while carrying  firearms.

We don't want the dogs running through there.  It isn't a big jump to realize that it was probably the dogs that sent our cattle through the fences.  We don't calve the heifers on that farm so the coyotes aren't a real big concern to us.

All the men would say to my husband was that they didn't let the dogs go there, that it was further north that they had let them go.  There is state land up there, I'm not exactly sure how close,  I'd have to check.

If I understood correctly what I read on line the guy that owns the farm could shoot the dogs if he wanted to, but that is really not a recourse I care for.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: running coyotes

Im not sure what you should do but I don't believe you can shoot the dogs. In Michigan I believe the owner of the dog has the right to retrieve his dog but nothing else. The owner of the dog must not kill game without permission. You should contact your local DNR and find out what your state laws are regarding the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'd shoot at the dogs as if trying to hit them while the dog owners were watching.  The word will quickly get around to keep dogs away from your place.  Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: running coyotes might not be legal with radio collars on the dogs

depends on the State.

Here on lions we use radio collars on a couple /  three of  the dogs in the pack.

On coyotes...they're so easy it does not take r-collared dogs...just takes 3 good dogs and the RIGHT mix of dogs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I get real tired of people turning dogs loose...and then claiming they didn't mean for the dogs to go on to your property. There is no "clear" law about it in Ohio. Hunters are allowed to use dogs to hunt game...but they don't have any rights to retrieve the dog from property that they don't have permission to be on. I found a couple guys with their pickup snugged up close to the back of one of my barns one night..and wondered whether they were stealing something out of the barn. It turns out..they were merely trying to hide their truck so they could run their coon dogs through some woods of mine..that I don't allow hunting in (unless of course it's me or my family). You could hear the dog barking treed at some dumb coon...and I wouldn't allow them to go back in the woods to get him...They got all pissy with me..and asked me what they were supposed to do...I just told 'em I wouldn't let a dog out where I didn't have permission to hunt. The funniest thing was...I couldn't give them permission to go to where the dog was...because he was in part of the woods that didn't belong to me, and the dog owners didn't have a clue. I suppose they went back and got him after I left...because I didn't care to stand there all night arguing with them....but they still got the message. I think if it was me...and I was having to repair fence...I would have stopped those guys with the dogs and asked them if the wanted a bill for my fence repair work...or they wanted a dead dog or two....In Ohio if a dog is chasing livestock..you have the right to drop it with no questions asked...and I would have made it perfectly clear that it's very hard to determine if a dog is chasing a coyote..or chasing cattle when the cattle are running from it.......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

In Ohio you are not allowed to shoot the dog unless it threatens livestock or people.  Ive' yet to see a hound even care about the livestock in someones yard especially  when on track but Ive seen many coyotes go to the farmstead in an attempt to escape.

After last summers aggravation with coyotes any coyote hunters are welcome on my property. I was really tired of retrieving heifers every other day after they had been forced through the electric fence by the coyotes. I'm sure it was coyotes because they howled and yipped every evening at 2-3 am.  by the pasture.  Finally solved the problem by adding a few mature dry cows to the group.

My only advice to the hunters is Kill Them All !!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

do you mean mountain lions?  Where are you?

I swear I saw a mountain lion about 12 miles or so away from here (mid Michigan) several years ago.  Everybody said I didn't, but sure did look  and move like a big cat.    Just recently a girl that works for the FSA had pictures of her husband hunting cats in Montana.  She says there are cats in this area but the DNR wants it kept quiet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I've heard the same thing about them being in Mich.  They are also in southern Ohio.  I may have read about them in the Farmers Advance newspaper.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The Iowa DNR for years clained that they were not here. altho there were many sightings. This year someone shot one. Last summer someone hit one on the road. I thik the DNR lies!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Same story here in Ohio JR.  Rumor is the wildlife people transplanted them here.  They must have read it in a book that it would be a good thing to do.

0 Kudos