cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

2013 Fall Harvest Is A Wrap

We finished harvesting milo this afternoon on the Shaggy farm.  There is something to be said about good friends and neighbors.  I was going to have to shut the combine down mid-afternoon so I could report to my off the farm job.  With 90% chance of rain and snow forecasted to move into the area starting tonight, I really didn't want to shut down since I only had about 4 hours worth of cutting until I was completely finished.  About the time the inevitable was approaching, my neighbor called me just to chew the fat so to speak.  Well to cut to the chase, he ran my combine for me the remainder of the afternoon and moved all equipment back to my farm yard while I was at work beating any precipitation that may come.  He wouldn't even let me pay him, but I can see a Shaggy grilled ribeye for him and his family in the very near future followed by an evening of card playing to be enjoyed by all.  Yep I've said it before and I will say it again, good friends and neighbors or worth more than their weight in gold.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: 2013 Fall Harvest Is A Wrap

Done here, too.

Of course, I still have cows in the pasture, and fence to put up around the fields, for the cows to graze on, and it is snowing as I type this, but the combine is nicely nestled in the shed for the winter.

On a side note, I cannot belive the acres, and acres of corn still out in the fields, unharvested.   I cannot remember this many unharvested acres into November before.   Field after field, getting snowed on cannot help the total bushels in the bins.   The irrigated yields have been as good as they ever have been, in this part of Nebraska (central), but I have also heard it commented at the elevator, that they never got so much wet corn, so late in the year before, either.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I'm done with beans but have 2/3 corn to go.  Lots of breakdowns and when you farm alone at 70, things don't go so swiftly.  Old man, old machinery.  I'll get her done but it won't be early.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Shaggy and H-J - Glad to here it's a wrap !  We went to Greenfield the other day - And my wife said she couldn't believe the corn that was still out around here -  i was surprised too - to think about it .

Jim - If you lived alittle closer - I would stop by and give you a hand -

Down to the paper work around here - I would rather have a thousand paper cut's than do that crap Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I'll do your paper work if you clean my combine. I spent 7 hours on it today and I'm about 1/2 done. This is the dirtiest job on the farm as far as I'm concerned.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

How spotless do you get that thing?

I spent 3-4 hours, and all I have left to do is vacuum out the cab and the little area behind the service door on the right side of the cab, so mice don't get in and chew the wiring.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Shaggy, use the spray on wax it saves a couple hours. I don't think it lasts as long and is a bit pricey. it is worth the time savings though.
BTW my combine is the only thing i own new and shinny enough to wax.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Husker, I wouldn't call it spotless, but it is amazing how many nooks and crannies you can find crop residue on a combine if you just look close.  It took me an hour just to blow all the crap out of the boxed in frame and rear axle.  Keeping mice out is my main concern, but I placed 7 four legged mouse traps inside the shed to help with that problem.  If I freshen the liter box every week, the cat crap odor is almost nonexistent, almost.  I take pride in my equipment, I basically keep blowing on it until the dust quits flying.  When I think I'm all done, I'll start it and engage the machine.  If any dust flies out the back or if any residual grains ends up in the grain tank or return augers I vacuum that out and keep repeating the process until it is what I call 100% grain and dust free.  I know it isn't of course, but if I can eliminate the mice food, maybe I can eliminate the mice.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I hear what your saying Buck, but I try to keep all my machinery as clean as I can even though most of it is 20+ years old.  Combine and planter are my newest pieces, and they are both 2000 vintage.  I've said it before and I'm not trying to brag, but I've got the nicest 20+ year old machinery lineup in my neighborhood.  Keeping everything washed and stored indoors makes this process much easier.  I've come to realize over the years that keeping machinery clean is less time consuming than cleaning it the first time.

I spent about 20K on my 1987 Magnum about 3 years ago.  I completely had it disassembled and repainted with automotive paint at an automotive body shop.  20K sounds like a bunch, but it's less than 10% of what a new replacement would run me.  I had all new cab interior and window seels installed at the same time.  The only time that thing sees sun is if I'm using it.  I've always parked indoors since its been restored.  I use the spray wax instead of the polish, but it still gets dusty just sitting in the shed.  Someone tried telling me there is a difference between wax and polish, but I've never tried using polish.  I have noticed that some products are advertised as wax and others as polish, but I've only used wax.  The theory goes that dust won't cling to a polished surface as much as it will a waxed surface but I've never tested the theory.  I like to use wax so I've got a layer of protection on top of the clearcoat.

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Yea, I know what you mean.   Thinking back, it used to take me all afternoon, until I got enough air compressor capacity, and a hi-flow blower wand.

I do similar to what you do.   I blow the grain in the head into the throat, and all the grain in the tank out the drain.   Then I run the combine with the elevator traps open (keeps the tank empty), then with the head all the way up, blow any leftover grain down the throat again and repeat.   My fuzzy moustraps do the job, here, too.   I have found that if I remove the access panels, so they can crawl around inside the machine, there never seems to be any mouse damage.  I must be doing something right, as I have yet to have to splice a wire on my combine, that was new when Carter was still in office.

0 Kudos