cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
highyields
Senior Contributor

300 bushel yield goals?

Does anyone have a 300 bushel corn yield goal?   If you do have a 300 bushel yield goal, Do you use foliar applied fungicides?, Foliar fertilizer?  Apply all your fertilizer in one shot or do you split application with side dressing?   Do you use no-till or conventional till practices?  Is there a sit standard for population when aiming for this high of yield?  I imagine its over 35,000 plants an acre?   

I know mother nature has a lot to do with corn yield.

Another question I have is we have variable soil types where I farm.  anything from silt loam level hill tops to rocky side slopes and that is all on the same 80 acres.   Some have told me in order to bring my whole farm average up I should "fix" my poor ground.  I look at it a little different, wouldnt I be better off to micro manage the better ground with higher inputs then I would try to "fix" that poor ground?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
colorofmoney
Frequent Contributor

Re: 300 bushel yield goals?

Just my ramdom thoughts,

I sure dont have a 300 busel goal yet but,  anytime you can split apply Nitrogen you cant lose.  As far as the "fix" the poor ground or good ground discucion.   I always think it is cheaper and easier to turn 0 bushel corn into 30 bushel corn than it is 200 into 230.  We have been working on our bad ground for a number of years, and have definatly seen a yeild bump across all of our acres.  If you can take 2 acres on our farm from 50 and trun it into 100.  Thats 1 bushel yeild bump across the board. Fixing 2 acres of corn is easier than 498.  Waiting to plant, Replanting, tile, and Variable rate fertilizer have work very well for us.   As well as Variable population.  Push the good ground hard but pushing poor ground to far will bite you.  People never seem to remember its about return on investment not super high yields that are well below COP

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Last summer I went to a Wyffels event and Dr Fred Below talked about what 300 bu corn needs.  By 2050 we will need 300bu national average corn because there will be 9 billion people on the planet (maybe that`s why land is bringing $15K).  #1 is weather #2 nitrogen #3 hybrid selection # 4 previous crop if it was beans that will add 25 bu/acre to corn crop.  #5 population, should be 45,000 #6 tillage and #7 Growth regulators.   I went away thinking that 300 bu/acre is too much expense to be practical on a large scale.  250 bu/acre is kind of a realistic goal on good ground.  The thing is if you manage for 300 and get a year like this was, you will probably lose alot of money.  

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

300 by 2050. Maybe. How many of us will still be farming 38 years from now. I farm a lot of marginal and some poor ground. My goal is to hit 200 on a normal weather year
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree with Color's post.  It is easier and usually has a better ROI to bring poor ground to average ground.  I don't grow corn per say, but this works for all crops.  Some of this can be done with a simple soil or plant tissue test.  To many times we get stuck in a rut that takes us down the easiest or cheapest path.  If we all could work on one bad location at a time, think what the result would be for the big picture.  Sometimes it is hard to think outside the box.

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Well said Shaggy98

The 300 Bu. Corn that I have personally observed has had NO Row, starter, nor  pop up. No foliar and No Fungicide applied.

You can Never go wrong by split applying your Nitrogen.

Adequate Plant population, excellent weed control and Sound Nitrogen Management  goes along way to Maximum, profitable Yields.

All of the above are dependent on Minimum Compaction, soil Tilth, soil Health along with proper  water management.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Boy Moneyman that was a good post ! 2 years ago bought a NTB for my Hagie and love it , being able to spoon feed the corn has worked out very well even this year . I had the first pass on and The weather gal was calling for a NO miss -deal for rain had enough 28 on hand to do about half the crop the second pass , guess what ? no rain ! so i did not put the other half on , being able to have that flexibility saved me around 9 grand .
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I'd heard that the way to make more money was to not put all the inputs on poor ground.  In other words, don't put on inputs  that it won't use.

That is not saying to not improve poor soil, just know when to quit.

0 Kudos