cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: A 2, 4-D Come Back?

...I'm not sure. I think I once heard that Dicamba was tested as a growth stimulant but I'm not going to go out on a limb and say 2,4-D was too. They're both from the same family of herbicides...and do make plants essentially "grow themselves to death"...so it's a distinct possibility that your father was right.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

About 20 years ago my neighbor, about 1/2 mile away, had his corn sprayed with 2,4 D to kill cockleburs in Aug.  There was very little wind and the temp was well in the 80's.  I grow corn, soybeans and about 10 A of vegetables ( mostly cucurbits, melons).

I'm not sure if the airplane applied the ester or the amine form, but it volatilized with the warm temps, the smell was powerful, and it killed my melons 1/2 mile away from his field.  Two days later the neighbor came by, saw my dead melon plants, and called his insurance co. before apologizing to me.  That one work out ok and we are still good neighbors. 

Volatilizing would be a concern, even days after it is applied.  The temps in the Spring would be lower  than Aug but still a concern.

Looks like we froze last night, temps below 32* for hours.

Wind   

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

That's the kind of situation that I was talking about. Those high temps..with the humidity in a corn field..will make 2,4-D ester move quite a ways. Today...I doubt you could find an aerial applicator willing to make an application like that, even if the label said it was legal. It's just too risky. We have quite a few staked green tomato fields, pepper fields, pickle fields....and vegetable plots in our area...and the local Co-ops won't go near them with 2,4-D.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I use 2,4-D and yes, the 7 day wait before planting soybeans gets to be an issue.

0 Kudos
djsinseia
Frequent Contributor

When did 2,4-D ever go out of use?

Have used it for decades w/roundup for burndown applications was a great mix before roundup got so cheap.  Still works better than straight glyphos for marestail and giant ragweed early in the spring when temps are cool.

Also works as a burndown for no-till corn along with a residual before the foxtail and other grass weeds have germinated and the only thing out there are broadleaf weeds.

Can't say I've used it much in the past 20 years as a post application in corn.

Also still use it to control thistles and weeds in fence rows.

Maybe I'm just behind the times.......

0 Kudos