cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

A 2, 4-D Come Back?

Am I hearing this right? Agronomists and researchers are preparing to start advising farmers to use 2, 4-D again? Have you talked to your crop consultant about this already? Is the weed problem that bad? And, will you start buying your 2, 4-D supply now, before the market gets wind of this?

Apparently, it's being advised to use the old weed killer mixed in with other ingredients.

Anyone surprised at this new development in farming? What's next, we bring back the bean walkers with bean hooks, corn knives, and all of those summer crews. Hey, wait a minute, maybe we're on to a way to create jobs in this country?

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

0 Kudos
14 Replies
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Re: A 2, 4-D Come Back?

I see Pupdaddy talking about it in this thread.

The word must be out.

Mike

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Mike I used some 2,4-D mixed along with my other preemerge chemicals for corn this year and I had great weed control. Multiple modes of action against weeds really seems to help.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Just curious, what does 2,4-D cost right now?

It might be interesting to get that on the record, in order to compare the price of it in a few months or even spring 2012.

Mike

0 Kudos

2,4-D as a pre-emerge burn down plus any glyphosate product has been recommended by Mark Loux at Ohio State forever. It has never been out of favor..because of it's distinct advantages. But 2,4-D as an in-crop post emerge treatment...lost favor because of it's tendency to cause corn to have brittle stalks. I remember one fall where I had sprayed 2,4-D on half of a field of corn..ran out..and switched to another product. Right to the sprayer line the stalks were blown over by some high winds.  With genetic engineering, we've managed to produce corn and soybeans that can tolerate 2,4-D better...and that is where you're going to see more 2,4-D usage. I doubt very seriously if you see large scale demand increases for 2,4-D Amine...(that happens to be the only formulation you can use post-emerge that won't be so volatile it kills all the soybeans in the neighboring un-genetically engineered field). I still use a little Amine next to people's yards. I figure if they can hire Chem Lawn to spray it all over..if I spray the same thing then they can't complain when their rose bushes and grapevines wither....LOL

...( Price on 2,4-D Ester and Amine usually runs in the 14.50-16.50 range...it's generic, so lots of companies produce it.)

0 Kudos

Yes you heard right.  My chemical advisor has been advising it for a number of years now mixed with RU for burndown.  Ragweed was the main reason why, and now marestail has come to visit us.  The drawback with using it as a pre-emerge on beans is a 7 day wait between spraying and planting.  If I remember right the cost was in the 2-3 dollar per acre range.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

So, it sounds like farmers may start using 2,4-D for pre and post emerge? Is that what all the talk is about? And on cost, is that $14.50-$16.50 per gallon? Can you spray it from the air and ground both? Or, is there some drift restriction with it? Are farmers at the tipping point with fighting weeds that they will begin to use this in large amounts next spring? And what about storing this product? Any problems with how long it will last in the shed?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos

I would not aerial spray it unless you are in a wde open area with no residences anywhere near the field to be sprayed.

0 Kudos

Yes, they will start using 2,4-D again in a post emerge application. Yes it's $14.50-16.50/Gallon. The average application rate will be around 1 pint per acre...or less if the corn happens to be taller, you can't really spray corn with it without "drop nozzles" that place the spray below the whorl of the corn plant if it's taller than around 8-12" tall. You can spray it from the air (if the label allows it...but if you're in the middle of an entire county full of corn, I doubt there would be much problem.) but the only reason would be if your ground is too wet to drive a sprayer through. In the ester form, it is much too volatile to spray in temperatures in the mid 80's or higher. It might not drift mechanically (i.e. as small droplets directly from the spray boom pushed downwind from a boom sprayer) but it may volatilize (fumes escape away from the surface it's applied too) and cause damage on soybeans, vegetables, grapes, cucurbits, and orchard trees. It stores reasonably well...doesn't need to be kept from freezing in anything other than the very coldest environments (Not sure exactly how cold that would be, because I believe most of the carrier in the product is petroleum oil based). And I'm pretty sure you'll see people store it for up to 3 years without problems.

2,4-D is one of our oldest herbicides...it was developed way back in the early 40's if I remember right. As far as I know...there hasn't been any major resistance develop in any weeds that it controls. It's a good product...has a long history of relatively safe usage...and is a useful tool. It just went out of favor because of the tendency of it to cause stalk brittleness in corn, and it's tendency to cause problems when applying it to corn that is too tall...or with susceptible crops that are downwind while spraying.

Going back to proven technologies isn't such an earth shaking event. It just means the current accepted practices have probably outlived their usefullness...and it's time to move on. I wonder how high Monsanto will raise their glyphosate technology fee now that their product doesn't control everything it used to? Or...will Monsanto be giving us money back for the rootworm populations that have now become resistant to the genetically altered corn? Seems to me if you're not doing something well..you shouldn't be able to charge the same amount of money for it.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

Pupdaddy - am I nuts or was 2-4D experimented with at reduced rates as a growth stimulant on crops, as it was thought it basically made weeds "grow to death", seems like my dad told me this once upon a time.

0 Kudos