cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Question for the Farmers!

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I am doing research for a book I'm writing and would love for anyone who knows to answer a question for me. In my book I'm writing about a kid who grows up on a farm, his dad left the farm unattended and after the last six years I'm wondering what kind of state a field would be in.  I haven't decided corn or wheat yet.

Also if left unattended and not looked after in any way would random crops pop up in any of that field?

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: A Question for the Farmers!

Jump to solution
You could get some volunteer crop from what had been planted in the field when it was being farmed. But only for a year or two. What you would have is mostly weeds. It would gradually revert to whatever was native for that a area. I e trees in a forested area or grass in the plains
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Well your book must not take place in Iowa, because any time a farm doesn`t have a renter, there`s a dozen farmers lined up to rent it for $400  an acre  Smiley Happy 

Well, within 6yrs alot of thistle would blow in, deer would probably drag in "sticky" weeds like burrdock, cockelbur. Waterhemp plants produce 1 million seeds each so there`d be no shortage of them, foxtail is prolific and would fill in the gaps.  In low peaty areas giant ragweed would shade every other weed out as they can get 10-15 foot tall.

Good Luck with your book, let us know how it turns out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
philepb

Jump to solution

It should be corn i think..

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
Oh my goodness, what a question....lol
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

An older guy from 40 miles away inherited a poor 40 acre field near me.He got stuck and then had other problems the first spring,never got it planted,never went back.People assumed he had put it in crp but it isn't.It is really sandy ground next to a creek and now has small trees scattered around it.For the most part it is just a sea of foxtail

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

not corn or wheat....

0 Kudos