cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Advice for preemerge herbicides in soybeans

I am going to switch some management around for soybeans next year. This year I spent to much time broadcasting P & K, disking and then attempting to plant soybeans in a nearly non existent planting window. So this fall Im planning to broadcast some fertilizer for next years beans and do light tillage. I would like to get into using preemerge herbicides on my soybean ground but Im not sure if a fall or spring application would work best for me? Ideally if I could just get a preemerge to last until late June or 1st week of July before roundup is needed my fields should stay clean for the rest of the season. I have never used a pre in soybeans before, I usually disk in the spring to knock out early weeds and spray roundup around the 1st of July. Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: Advice for preemerge herbicides in soybeans

I am just curious when most of you or any of you are using preemerge sprays for soybeans?

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I haven't done pre on beans in a while but the best thing I have used for my soils would be Pursuit Plus lightly risked in, or better yet incorporated with a field cultivator. This would be early pre plant.
sonolan is a cheap way to go pre and while not sa long lasting or broad spectrum works good if you can do a follow up with glyph if needed.
0 Kudos
idleriver
Contributor

You can spray "Envive" preplant up until three days after planting.  It did pretty good for me.  About 70 % of acres did not require a roundup application that year.  I used it on the light side of the rate rec.  My only complaint was volunteer corn. 

Currently I am using "Thundermaster" It is a half rate of roundup and pursuit. Generally I put in an additional 1/2 rate of roundup.  I usually disk in the spring and plant.  Then about three weeks later I spray the thundermaster.  If I can get the rows to close in a decent time frame, i.e. we do not have a drought, this is the only application I do.  Very clean beans all season long is key to maximizing yields.  you do not want to wait till the rows have closed with weeds to spray.  also I believe applications of roundup when pods are filling with reduce bean size.  It is very important to choose bushy beans if you are in rows

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Idleriver how are things up your way? Corn here wont do much with only 8 tenths of an inch of rain in July but the soybeans don't look bad. I don't like spraying beans with roundup if they are flowering which is getting me to consider a fall application of Envive followed up by roundup in the spring. Do you know anybody who has used Envive in the fall? If so how long did their residual last? I have been disking in the spring before planting but this year has got me thinking otherwise. It just seemed like we fought the weather and in my case a breakdown that added insult to injury, so that's why I am looking to get some of that field work done in the fall.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I've never stopped using treflan, but  I am still doing tillage. Treflan is great on wooly cup and gets rid of 90% of lambsquarter and waterhemp. Treflan usually puts my first and only pass of roundup about 10 days after the usuall first pass. I left 10 acres this spring(ran out at the end and didn't want to openanother jug) and could definitely see what the yellow was doiing for me. Cost for 1.6 pint/acre is $3-4. I will say that no one likes to take the time to apply it, tho. Including me.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Are you applying Treflan in the fall or spring? I am part of the generation that hasn't had much experience with preemerge herbicides in soybeans so all advice is welcome. If you applied Treflan in the spring how long is your residual? Companies like Dupont are really pushing pre's in soybeans to fight resistance and even giving roundup at a discount for using a pre + using Pioneer seed.... Or at least I think that was part of the deal explained to me and several other farmers at a local elevators field day. I am just searching for a better weed control program. The days of letting the field get so weedy you can't stand it and burning it down with roundup don't really appeal to me anymore.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I try to apply it very first thing in the spring. (doesn't always work that way, tho) I apply it first pass with a field cult. and spray cart over fall tilled cornstalk. I have ok levelers bhind my ripper. Trelan works better 2 pass incorporated, so we hit it again ahead of the planter. I also appled one farm with a broadleaf product called sharpen. I think it is the same as kixor. worked well and was about $4/acre. there is some really interesting new chemistry coming next year called zidua(spelled wrong). also . there are some good pre products like authority first, authority assist, and maybe monsanto's warrant. Those type of products would eliminate the preplant application and time issue. good luck

0 Kudos
cliff seia
Contributor

We used Invive this spring for the first time but it wasn't a very good test for how long the residual will work.  The two farms that got sprayed in May had 20" of rain on them in June which ended up washing the Invive out and the later sprayed fields have only had 1.3" of rain on them since June 25 so they haven't had enough rain to keep the Invive activated.

I do think that with Invive added to the glysophate burndown that I had a better weed kill than with glysophate alone. 

0 Kudos