cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Aerial cover crop seeding

All,

One of the comments I get from farmers in a corn/soybean rotation who would like to grow cover crops, but don't is how to aerial seed it in standing corn or soybeans. I know that drilling a cover crop is the best way to get a good stand, but late September after soy harvest or mid-to-late Octobe for corn gives little time for the cover crop to germinate and grow. 

Have you heard of any folks who make aerial seeding in corn or soybeans work in August? It strikes me that this is a big hurdle in adopting cover crops for lots of farmers.

Thanks,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Aerial cover crop seeding

It's my understanding that in order to get an aerial seeded cover crop to germinate adequate moisture is needed shortly after seeding.  This would virtually eliminate the western 2/3 of dryland Kansas unless we were to just gamble the cost of seeding and the seed.  Not sure to many dryland producers in this area are willing to take that gamble, and rightfully so.  Many of them have been experiencing some type of drought for over 5 years and counting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I planned to aerial seed a cover crop two years ago and it was too dry, the experts agreed.  

I think you are right that getting the cover drop established is an issue.  We're busy, the conditions have to be right and all the ducks have to line up.

One thing might be to plant early varieties of beans.  I think you'll find most farmers are planting long varieties of beans to maximmize yield.  Maybe wwe have to give up some yield potential in order to get the crop out of the field. 

I wonder if any thought has been given to that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If we're giving up cash crop yield in order to gain the establishment of a cover crop, are we really gaining anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

In my area of Central MO, we traditionally have planted mid to late group 4 beans. The last several years the mid to late group 3's have outyeilded the group 4's as many times as not. It all depends on the timing of late summer rains. Patrick

0 Kudos