Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

AgPoll: How's the hay crop?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: AgPoll: How's the hay crop?

With all the recent rain, we've got the the best looking hay we've had since 2010.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Not really a hay comment, but it got me to thinking. This area hasn't received summer time rain like this for about 3 or 4 years. Our little town had watering restrictions for lawns so we haven't watered our lawn since 2010 or 2011. No water also means no need to fertilize. Well if you can't beat em, might as well join em. As my youngest son was finishing mowing our yard on Monday afternoon, I picked up two 5-gallon buckets of urea from the local coop and applied it to my yard. Only thing I can say is WOW, we've received an additional .65" rain since then and we will be mowing again this afternoon. It's amazing how Bermuda grass will grow when we add a little food and water. All my neighbors are just scratching their heads. Gotta love this small town competition.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Excellent growing year over here for hay crops. I filled every barn and planning on chopping alfalfa shortly since I don't have anywhere left to put it.
Everyone around me complained about orchardgrass and Timothy getting wet in the windrow back in May/June. We had two good windows of four days each with heat and sunshine. Somehow, not a drop fell on mine after it was mowed.
Oh and shaggy, glad I'm not your neighbor... I ran a batwing bush hog over my yard last time! Always seen a yard as a wasted expense. Of course, my only neighbors consist of 90 acres in apple trees and I'm smack in the middle of it Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How crop around here is excellent to very poor...... and those fields could be right next to each other. Some large dairy farms are already out of hay they made this year. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of corn silage will be chopped and mixed with straw..... not sure whwre that will come from......  Long time until next May.....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hay really poor in Cent. Wi. , Winter kill and now way too dry. We may be out of this years hay crop before corn silage is ready too chop. 

John

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Central Kansas might have some excess.  If anyone is going to need some, let me know.  I might be able to give you a couple names of some producers that will be selling some.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

my documtims 474.jpgmy documtims 478.jpg

Top picture is a 5 acre patch behind dads - was our feed lot -

Bottom -- just south of Dads - 7 acres - total -- put out 67 of the big bales -- hay did good and alfalfastill doing very good around here this year .

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

ECI, either that is grass hay or it was cut with a discbine..... Looks like all the leaves have been vaporized.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Luckily I will have enough. Have enough now and one cutting to make yet. Second crop was slightly better in yield than first crop. With first crop it was to wet as you could tell alfalfa was yellow and stunted in the wet spots. Second crop the fields where even across the entire field. Picked up some good rain after second, had 6/10 overnight and still raining now. Third looks to be real good too so hopefully I can get my reserve hay stash built back up. Hopefully this rain will help get the last of the corn pollinated and get it one day closer to black layer.....
0 Kudos