cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Any worries about N deficiencies?

All,

This might be jumping the gun, but given recent wet weather, are any of you worrying about N deficiencies in corn due to lost N from leaching? We might be quite a ways off from this, but I just edited a piece from Emerson Nafziger at the U of Illinois talking about this. He said if we get warmer weather and sunshine, mineralization can kick in a hurry and easy N concerns.

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Re: Any worries about N deficiencies?

Do you mean "ease" N concerns? I'm not too worried about N leaching yet. I split apply anyway and that's one reason.

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Yes, that's what I meant. Seems like it's hit/miss on really wet areas. Bad in southern MO and Southern MN, but seems pretty good around here (central Iowa) 

Gil 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Iowa State put out a newsletter on n-deficiency this week.  I'm going to side-dress in a few weeks and am not going to worry about it.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I think - with all the rain we have had this spring that we have - did lose part of the N laid down with the planter - How Much ? Not sure - but have heard from some - in the know people - that half would be a good guess -

Mine went in after most of the heavy rains - so not worried much on my part .

0 Kudos