cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Anybody else?

Jackson Farms in Illinois reports: "I kept having visions of last fall's corn harvest while spraying soybeans today." http://tweetphoto.com/30055652
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Anybody else?

One corner of one of my fields is still wet and never got planted.  It was wet when I harvested, too.

Another way of looking at this is the amount of volunteer corn.  I'm spraying beans and seeing quite a bit.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Got some of the best corn I've ever had in probably 40% of the field, 30% is OK and the final 30% is horrible to not very good.  COC. The better corn is pollinating.  Everything came up, just too much yellow with stunted growth.  Probably 10% will not have an ear.  Decent tile and good surface drainage.   Again as last year the poorer ground has some of the best corn and it is the refuge area!  Should be plenty of fertilizer. Spread fertilizer for this year's corn and next years beans this spring, also 50 more lbs of N were side-dressed.  Central Illinois

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The other day, it would have been Wednesday of last week, I rode through Illinois and Iowa on Interstate-80. I kept thinking this corn crop just looks so-so. It was yellow in many spots, uneven, drowned-out spots, and only one field was tasseling. The soybean crop was short, drowned-out spots in many fields, none had canopied, and a lot of the beans had a long way to go. I'm talking about fields in Illinois near Utica, La Salle, Peru, Mendota, and Princeton. In Iowa, fields started to look less yellow and healthier near Walcott. But, I just kept thinking, wow, this crop is just so-so and seemed suspect of ever reaching the record production level the USDA is estimating.

However, on my return from Iowa back to Chicago, and after two or three hot/dry days later, the same crop looked totally different. It was so surprising how different this crop looked. I wondered, agronomically, how the rebound would take place in this crop in a short-time. Ironically, I just received a note Friday from Bob Streit, an independent agronomist in Iowa. Streit answered some of my questions writing this:  "It was hard to believe but a major percentage of the yellow beans that existed a week ago did turn a better shade of green during the week. What was needed was a return to aerobic conditions in the soil. That let the nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the nodules begin their work. Not all of the fields have made that color change, so in the next week we are hoping to see them turn green yet."
    Streit adds, "The big news with soybeans was that many of the fields are growing a tremendous crop of weeds and volunteer corn. Almost every section contains one or more fields where they were planted without a residual herbicide and the operator has been unable to get to the field to spray. As those weeds get into the 18 - 24” range they become tougher to kill and more competitive with the desired crop."

Happy July 4th and Happy drying!

Mike