cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Anyone ever plant old treated bean seed?

I had some bags of seed germed in 2015 and treated with Cruiser Max.   Don`t ask me why I still had em around, I just did, the dealer wouldn`t take treated seed back.  Well, I could see I had been too stingy buying seed this year and knew I`d run short, I plant 149,00 the next jump is 165,000, so I blended about 10-15% of old seed and planted 165K, figuring worse case I`d have over 140K planted seed.

I didn`t have a chance to germ test them, but soaked em under a hydrant and they pretty much all swelled up the next day.   I think they all grew fine, the old blended field has a noticeably thicker stand.  I`m happy with it, but would suggest testing before planting old seed.   🙂 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Anyone ever plant old treated bean seed?

Boy BA - I think IF I was you - I would pull is post - tread  - as in now-- Yes - the seed is OK to plant - we all plant old seed they sell us every year - BUT the seed you planted -  old , old seed - meaning that you own for the tech fee for the other years = 2 years worth ! They can come back on you to pay the back tech fee , which I'm told is X 3 the original fee - that can be pretty costly on your part !

Good luck  

JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Ken,, you need to have another beer and put your feet up.  🙂

I hope the industry hasn't gotten that bad yet.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Jim -----------------   I like your thinking ! lol 

0 Kudos