cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Are we in for a weedy crop?

My weed program isn't working as well as I expect and like.  Rain got some of the residual maybe and growing conditions are good for the weeds.  Corn is just about too high to get through the second time.  I didn't do as good a job as I'd like on a burn down and first pass.

Soybeans at least I can get through and they need it, both broad leaves and grass.

The rain has made this a struggle, getting spraying done and fertilizer on.  There are a lot of wet spots in the field.  Corn is quite variable, with some already waist high and some only about a foot and short nitrogen (which I put on today).

I'm thinking that even if I have a good crop, the bloom is already off the rose.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Are we in for a weedy crop?

Hey Jim, I usally have a 2 pass of 1 quart gly program. This year I tried a one pass of Halex GT, mix of touchdown, calisto and dual. I`m extremely happy, the corn is right at canopy, zero escapes Smiley Happy. Halex GT cost about $10-12, they said they`d give me a pint of touchdown if needed, which I didn`t. It is some powerfull stuff, I had to clean a tip in mid field and where I was stopped the drip turned the corn white, can`t see the spot today. You spray when the corn is "high as a pop can". 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I think we are in for weedy conditions around here. Rain has washed chemicals away and corn is slow to grow with the cold weather we had early and all the rain we have had all along.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jim, you are not the only one having trouble getting spraying done.

I was able to get mine all done OK, just a little damp for some soys.

That is Ontario though and the Canadian west has not been so lucky.

Here is a video of a Western producer spraying and a bonus video of the Trans Canada highway washout near the Saskatchewan and Alberts border.

http://ontag.farms.com/forum/topics/flooding-in-western-canada

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You are correct..that is a great product. I had nothing down this year planning on spraying Halex when our corn froze. Had to wait a bout a week to spray. Corn is over waist high in some spots and still holding. used a tank of Impact so I could spray sweetcorn patch. Not as happy with those acres. Too many escapes....MikeM

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Was you not happy with the Impact? I have some corn that needs sprayed for grass and My dealer suggested impact. As soon as it dries up Im going to try it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Impact did not hold down the grass as I was lead to believe. After visiting with our area agronomist, his suggestion was to have a half rate of something down and then use it like a glyphosate app. I want to make 1 pass through the field sometime and that is why I have used Halex these past 2 years. Seems the residual is longer lasting with 3 oz of Calisto and 1.5 pt of Dual and window of app is wider. Impact is a great weed killer for a sweetcorn patch but have a cultivator handy. Agronomist is being lead to believe that there will be a yield increase using Impact over a glyphosate product. I have the test going this year...MikeM