cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

Atrazine clean out

I am always super paranoid about getting rid of atrazine before I go to spray beans, anyone have any good tricks. My agronomist tells me Im too paranoid I normally triple rinse then run about 150 gallons of roundup through booms on some planted corn. Am I overdoing it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Atrazine clean out

Yes and no. I know there is a lot of atrazine residue left in most sprayers. You simply can't remove it from the booms, and some of the agitation tubes. I've even see it stick to stainless steel tanks so tight that a pressure washer wouldn't blow it off. So..if it makes you sleep better doing a job of cleaning like that...then go for it.

0 Kudos
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Atrazine clean out PUp

So are you saying that it is impossible to get it all. I know there has been times where I have missed a big spot of it and it didnt hurt my beans a bit, but like I said im paranoid.

0 Kudos

Re: Atrazine clean out PUp

Yes I am...about the only time I knew I had damaged some beans with atrazine...was when I loaded a load of glyphosate after cleaning out the Harness Extra that I had in the sprayer. I didn't get the sprayer completely empty of glyphosate in the field I sprayed...and left the glyphosate in the sprayer and booms over several days to a week. When I finally mixed up another batch of glyphosate...I went out on a headland next to the road and sprayed it out. The product that had set in the booms had cleaned a lot of atrazine out...and it burned the beans until the booms had emptied...

0 Kudos
cz4586
Frequent Contributor

I  rinse the tanks (a Hagie 284 with 2 400 gallon tanks) with a garden hose and spray nozzle.  I have a rinse tank on the sprayer and run about 50 gallons of clean water through the booms and tips at 30 PSI or so.  Then I take all the filters off and rinse them by hand.  Then run another 50 gallons or so through the booms.

This is an 80 foot boom with nozzles on 15 inch centers.  

I burned about 800 feet of corn with Canopy one year and after that started rinsing like this.  Haven't had any trouble since then.

0 Kudos

Does any of the neutralizer power you put in the spray tank neutralize atrazine?

0 Kudos