cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Atrazine

I've always used liquid atrazine but someone recently told me that dry was significantly cheaper than liquid. Any advantages or disadvantages of either?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
weedman
Veteran Contributor

Re: Atrazine

In our neck of the woods, west central Iowa, liquid atrazine is usually cheaper. Don't know why. If I'm spraying water i like to use dry flowable because then I have no rinsing. I don't like to use large totes because of settling issues with liquid. If you are going to spray using fertilizer definitely go with liquid. Dry flowable will not always disolve properly in fert.

0 Kudos
KY_TOBDirt
Senior Contributor

Just texted my retail salesman, said it was about the same per lb. of active. I personally like dry, don't have all the jugs to deal with and the liquid in totes, I have more problems with clogging and settling out in the booms overnight.
The only drawback with dry, you got to have good agitation!
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

A lot of very good points here Shag - But for me - i always use the liquid -- The biggest draw but here in IN - is in the spring and we get a cold snap -- that 4L will pump like a Milk Shake - You really need to check the calibration on your meter - as the Milk Shake will pump harder - then when it warms back up you will need to check it again .

Very good point about the nozzels - That stuff will dry up over night and cause problems the next day - I flush  the booms every night --- I only forgot one time Smiley Mad  Haven't forgot since - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I think I stated earlier that the only atrazine I've used is liquid and thus far I've been happy. As far as your pump calibration issues, well I've never had an issue with taking the cap off of the 2-1/2 gallon jug. I don't feel like I use enough of it at this point to justify a tote or shuttle so I still opt for the jugs. Yes they are a hassle to rinse clean and dispose of, but so far hasn't been that much of an issue.

Boom rinsing, well not knowing when my phone (leash) is going to ring to report to my off the farm job, I generally rinse them after each load. I don't have a nurse system in place yet so refilling is my Achilles Heel at this point. I'm old fashioned, still throw the garden hose in to fill er up but that is another issue I'm hoping to change in the near future. If I had more acres to cover, this would be towards the top of my list, but hasn't been a big issue yet.
0 Kudos
KY_TOBDirt
Senior Contributor

I never can keep those meters working right, (cal. off or batteries dead) so just don't us them anymore. I go by the gallon marks on the inductor tank.
I rinse out at night too, if I know the rig gonna sit for a day or two, but with the dry, usually doesn't give me a problem overnight

Shaggy, it's just like everything thing that we use, what works best for us individually, you stick with it!
0 Kudos