cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Bigshots planted 110 day corn N Iowa

I see some Bigshots planted DK60-67 this year and it wasn`t exactly put in early (May 20th) I know none of my business but the signs were put up inviting the questions.  I`ve planted DK58-xx before and it did alright but I got it in April 20th, since I`ve drifted to 98-105 day.  I even traded some 105 day for 98 day being it was May 25th when I got it in.  Maybe DeKalb has a better dry down and 110 day is like the old 100 day? With the GDD count, the 90 degree days we`ve had, here we`re ahead of last year, so maybe it`ll turn out alright.  But I`ve seen Bigshots with early 90 day corn before claiming it yields with the full season hybrids and they get it off earlier to apply hog manure.   One guy that hauls his corn to town at harvest wanted to get a early jump so he planted 90 day and it was too wet to pick early so it was harvested with the rest and it was all + - 20%, the 90 day and his 105 day no significant difference.  

Dad told of a Minnesota corn company he dealt with, he asked for "a good corn for peat"   the salesman said "you`re the farmer you tell me....here`s what guys around here plant in the peat"  It was crazy early that was ready in September and didn`t yield worth a crap.  So he went back to Funks that could be a tough picking corn.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Bigshots planted 110 day corn N Iowa

BA, maybe the farmer has silage or earlage he wants to harvest? My guess is the hybrids yield potential. The advantage might also be to harvest corn that is standing better. If Mr bigshot is only planting 100 day corn, the odds of some of his corn getting too dry and going down increases. When I sold seed for a Dow company, my strongest hybrids were 107 to 112 day. That is a tough sell in southern Michigan, so I didn't sell seed for them long. Now that I sell seed for LG, my bread and butter is 96 day hybrids through 108 day hybrids. Last year my plot winner was a 96 day hybrid. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey Blacksandfarmer, I`m sure the corn will be harvested for grain unless a frost in September .   It is one of the better fields around with the strip till and such, so the guy is a experimenter .  I`ve heard from a older guy that the corn that used to be planted was later maturity than it is now, so maybe in 1980 a 100 day would`ve been more like a 110 day...it was wetter moisture I do remember that.

My hero Herman Warsaw, planted a much later maturity corn for his area in Illinois, that was part of his secret to getting big yields.   So, these guys around here creeping in with later corn, I wonder if they`ve been doing some thinking.  Stands to reason, take advantage of all the photosynthesis you can, the killing frost dates seem to be getting later.  

I replanted some beans that were LG group 1.8 the elevator had some and I snapped them up, had a one day window between the rains and put `em in.  When I had organic corn there was a good LG number in the late 90`s a 107 day, did well with minimum inputs.

Here`s the late DeKalb corn that`s taking north Iowa by storm   Smiley Happy

http://www.northernildkc.com/DKC60-67RIB.pdf

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA, that corn hybrid would definitely not work on my farm. Our soil types very too much "here." With a year this wet I might be concerned over this particular hybrids need for a "strong foliar disease package."  ECIN had a really nice field day a couple years ago that was really focused on corn diseases and fungicides. The folks from Purdue pretty much said that a farmer would be foolish to plant hybrids that were super needy in regards to diseases. I personally would rather spend the money on more N than hiring a crop duster to spray fungicides.

On the soybean side of things I try to keep my guys planting varieties just a touch on the early side. Nobody likes to run tough beans and nothing is worse for a seed dealer than doing a fall farm visit when the farmer is frustrated over not being able to harvest on a nice sunny fall day. 

0 Kudos