cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning down ryegrass cover crop

I tried using ryegrass as a cover crop this year on a few acres going into corn. The problem I have is trying to kill it. Is there something better than roundup to use as a  burndown? I tried spraying first when it was about 5 inches tall, but all it did was burn the leaf tips, and kept growing. I sprayed again and it is slowly dying. What am I missing? TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Re: Burning down ryegrass cover crop

I am a rye grass grower and I have never had any problem killing rye grass with a pint and a half rate of round up.With the current price of glyfosate products, on 5" rye grass go 2 quarts. Be sure and use one with good speader component!

0 Kudos
cz4586
Frequent Contributor

1.5 quarts glyphosate.  Full rate of AMS.  Spray when it's actively growing and sunny. Spray after the dew goes off and before 2pm.  That's what works around here.

0 Kudos

Something doesn't quite add up there Ray. If you've never had any problem killing ryegrass with .75 quart of Roundup (Powermax, Weathermax, or Generic? It makes a hell of a difference.) why would you recommend a 2 quart rate??

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

I probably spoke out turn on that,not knowing the actual maturity of the cover crop.We actualy can kill rye grass in my location,spraying out volunteer at reseeding at a rate of 1.5 pints,but at the current cost of glyfosate we usualy go 1 quart for assurence. Ryegrass will not become glyfosate resistant with proper managment! No check plot or skips,and a proper rate for plant size and maturity.

0 Kudos

Thanks for all the help. It was a little cool when I sprayed it and it was in the evening. I'll also up the rate a little next time.

0 Kudos

Some of the area ranchers this spring are drilling cowpea for hay or grazing after harvesting ryegrass for hay. The burndown prescrition is 1 quart per ac of paraquat with oil through a boom for $8-10 per ac cost...GPA I don't know. The goal is a 3 week competition free effect while peas drilled on 7s have time to canopy. Suitability of this ahead of corn, I have no experience with. Peas at 50 lbs per ac form a dense canopy....probably around an 180k bean pop as the seed size is 1/4th inch....an even stand is very dominant.

Our early burndown of grazed ryegrass and others (all vegetative or early joint) ahead of beans remained good through 5 weeks post spray. That recipe with  nozzles and GPA is outlined below in another ryegrass thread. So I won't rehash here. Some bermuda was released and a ton of wooly croton (which is normal) so I hit them with 1 qt gly at planting. NO ryegrass or cool season grasses survived...just a handfull of sedge (this is also normal). This early burndown was holding great soil moisture.

Last weekend of April, we drilled beans into 5-6' cereal rye then followed with 1 qt generic glyphosate + 1.75 lb AMS + 0.25% 90/10 NIS....same nozzles and GPA. Kill looked excellent this weekend with what looked to be persimmon sprouts as escapes (normal at that gly rate). Soil was pretty dry then it rained 1-1.5" and beans were up in a week.

This weekend we drilled beans into tall cereal rye with a heavy annual ryegrass infestation. Ryegrass was at pollination stage on average. I used 1.5 qt generic gly + 0.6oz clethodim + 1.75 lb AMS + 0,5% Synox synthetic crop oil. Won't know until this weekend how that did, but I suspect it will work well even on advance stage ryegrass IF we got coverage down into the mat!

I think Terry Tilley (? I am not good with names), uses 1.25 qt Durango (51% gly) + clethodim + NIS + AMS + citric acid on early ryegrass, but don't hold me to that. Ed Winkle would know for sure. At 1.5 qt of 41%, we are close on active ingredient per ac.

We are toying with 4 levels of cover crop residue this spring. The tall rye/ryegrass has me most worried with scant rainfall. Local weather on Sat gave us 40, 50, 40, and 30% rainfall on consecutive days starting Sun eve...then on Sun at noon the chance was dropped to 30% on Mon...a steady 0.5" fell Tuesday. I would have paid very well for a 'weatherman punching baag' to hang in the barn at dinner Sun!  

We are clipping off a bunch of annual ryegrass in pastures this spring as cows cannot keep up with the forage, but a full restocking is not warranted due to recovery from drought last summer and the possibility of another drought  this summer. These are 30+ yr self reseeding ryegrass stands and my goal this spring is to reduce ryegrass seedbank size and release bermuda in the process. 1-2 mowings should do with a few acres rolled for hay. It is very odd to be able to bale grass hay here in early May....normally too humid and too rainy and too frustrating.

0 Kudos