cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Cash Crop/Forage Crop

With the commodity prices as well as the livestock prices where they are today, those with both a crop and a livestock operation, when do they shift more production towards forage crops and away from cash crops and expand their herds? That has become the topic of choice in one of my local coffee shops.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cash Crop/Forage Crop

If you have not already started that shift you've missed the prime opportunity IMO. Better to look ahead and be proactive than just react to things
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Shaggy. When I read the subject I thought
You was going to talk about something else!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You mean something along the lines of hemp or cannabis?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Shaggy, the Canadian Hemp growers are selling organic hemp seed (no, not marajuana) for under a dollar/lb. There is no way to compete with these ridiculously low prices, you wouldn't gross $500/acre. Just looking out for you my friend! Ha!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

If you don't restrict it to selling seed, you could gross half a million on an acre. I hear marketing takes a lot more time though... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Who is growing that cash crop in Colorado? We used to grow tobacco. I think it would be similar. I hear it is going to be on our balet for recreational use next year.
0 Kudos