Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Central Kansas Wheat Photos

Wheat 4-4-2014.jpg

Wheat1 4-4-2014.jpg

The above 2 pics are of wheat no-tilled into 2013 corn stover.

Wheat2 4-4-2014.jpg

Wheat3 4-4-2014.jpg

The final 2 pics are of wheat no-tilled into stubble of an oat/forage pea/tillage radish cover crop after it was hayed.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

Re: Central Kansas Wheat Photos

Looks Comparable to Central MO wheat.  Patrick

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Nice looking wheat Shaggy! Most of the wheat around me is still a brown color. Did you have better luck with the cover crops this year? What is your typical wheat yield?

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Looks a lot better than wheat in our area of central il. Saw some real nice wheat east of St Louis last week and some not so nice also.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

BSF, I haven't drilled the cover crops yet.  I had them in last year during the third week of March and I was froze out.  Thought I would wait until the second or third week of April this year to see if I could prevent that from happening again.

Wheat yields can be from 0 to 70+ B/A.  Generally if I'm able to cut anything over the 50B/A mark I don't complain to loud.  Rain is generally our wildcard.  When we've got abundant moisture we can creep up and get close to 80-90, but when we have limited rain like we have the last 3 or 4 years anything over 25 is considered a success.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Looks like you have a good start Shaggy. Just add water 🙂 Hard wheat is a different critter than I'm growing, but what kind of seeding rate do you use? I shoot for 23-25 seeds per foot in 7.5" rows on srw. Just took these pics behind my shop. Layed 100 units of 28% on it 20 days ago along with some snake oil. Upper half is bean stubble, lower was shelled corn down to the railroad. All no-tilled. Wheat is just as good in the corn, but the fodder is hiding it in the pic.Optimized-011.JPGOptimized-012 (2).JPG

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I've never actually counted seeds per foot, but I plant in 10" rows with a target between 90-120# per acre. Individual field conditions at planting time help determine final planting rates.

You hit the nail on the head with just add water.

Good looking crop on your end, best of luck getting it into the bin.
0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Thank ya sir. Ditto
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Nice wheat -------   for some young bucks --- Smiley Wink  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

And what would you know about wheat Ken? Up there in the garden of Eden. Haha!
0 Kudos