cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Central Kansas Wheat

Severe drought, late frost damage, disease at boot leaf stage & hail storms one week ago has lead to a disappointing wheat harvest.  With the exception of the hail damage, I am confident the other weather effects are going to be felt on a wide spread area.  What was looking like a favorable harvest, quickly gave way to disappointment.  I've combined nearly half of my acres and really can't brag about any of my yields.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Central Kansas Wheat

My nephew called me from Lane Co. Kansas on Weds. and he was cutting 12% wheat making 20bu. per A. He said the test weight was good.  Very little rain in April and May.  This was the earliest he remembers cutting wheat in SW Kansas.

He was expecting a lower yield.  Shaggy, if the weather is perfect, what will your wheat yield in your area?  Perfect weather in Western Kansas a non-event?  

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Central Kansas Wheat

The wheat is to far along for a perfect weather scenario now.  Like your nephew, our yields are running from lower 20s to mid 30s, with one farm making lower 40s.  Like him, my test weights are 60 to 62 lb's.  Very disappointing.

0 Kudos