cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Central Kansas thru Dallas, Texas

I'm not a bear, but after traveling south out of south-central Kansas, I'm not necessarily a bull either. It starts only about 50 or so miles south-east of me near Hutchinson, Kansas and ran as far as we traveled into Dallas, Texas. Crops look amazing, although some areas are better than others, this 500 mile stretch looks good. I tried to take a few pictures, but didn't take the time to pull over and at highway speed couldn't take a nice shot. Grass is green, corn is 8' to 10' tall and soybeans are as lush as I've seen in years. Even a couple fields of sunflowers looked good. Corn around the Dallas area has already reached black leaf (I think that's what it's called) and looks like they are waiting for grain dry down in the fields. This trip opened my eyes to a few new areas where we could pickup a few additional bushels.

I'm happy for these producers, it's been a couple years since they've had lush crops I believe.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
westnefarmer
Contributor

Re: Central Kansas thru Dallas, Texas

Well Shaggy, I have grown corn all my life and am a 5th generation farmer and I have never heard the term "blackleaf" so with that in mind I would say you can't tell the difference between a good crop and a bad one! Just because it's green doesn't mean it will yield, but then again maybe blackleaf might make all the difference!!! LMAO!

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Black layer
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Shaggy, Im glad you are back. Im no bear either, these perma bull Iowans are getting out of hand in these threads LOL!

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Show me some pics of good and bad and I'll make the judgement call. Guess I used some wrong terminology, the correct term (strike me down if I'm wrong) is R6. Plants are 8' to 10' tall and completely mature with at minimum 1 to 2 full sized ears per plant. Keep in mind, I'm not talking the entire states of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas, but just a 500 mile stretch from Hutchinson, Kansas to Dallas, Texas. Your right, I'm not an experienced corn producer so excuse my inaccuracies. Reporting what I saw and as always, this info is worth what you pay for it.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

89, Is black layer the same as R6? Seems like we've got some perfectionist on board who are short fused and not tolerant of improper terminology. LMAO
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

BSF, with all do respect, the Iowans are probably upset because they might not receive the MVP award this year. Until the last few days I too thought this crop was doomed and wouldn't fill the pipeline. After my road trip, I've got renewed optimism for the crop as a whole. Not saying it will be the trendline that USDA is preaching, but I don't believe it will be as bad as some of us are lead to believe.
0 Kudos
Soyfarmer
Contributor

Black layer is simply a term used to describe corn up here in north country where it is frost free or drought free. In other words mature and if you pull a kernel of the cob there a black mark on the bottom of the kernel. We usually see this 3 weeks before early harvest.

0 Kudos